close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Reply

Preferred Length of Pull

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 10-27-2013, 09:42 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 87
Preferred Length of Pull

What is your preferred Length of Pull in a hunting rifle.

1. 13 3/8"
2. 13 1/2"
3. 13 5/8"
4. 13 3/4"
5. Other
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 10-27-2013, 11:58 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: Texas
    Posts: 6,921
    Re: Preferred Length of Pull

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deertroy1 View Post
    What is your preferred Length of Pull in a hunting rifle.

    1. 13 3/8"
    2. 13 1/2"
    3. 13 5/8"
    4. 13 3/4"
    5. Other

    There is an average length (13 1/2) but this should be measured on every person because it is different on some and can effect there shooting if it is not correct.

    If you are not sure what yours is, Take your rifle and lay it on your forearm with you index finger on the trigger (Make sure it's not loaded) and it should just reach the inside of your arm with it bent.

    If it is short measure the difference and that with the stock length is what you length of pull is.

    Or you can just measure from your trigger finger to the bend in your arm.

    It is very important to have the correct length of pull for normal shooting. If you shoot position
    target an adjustable but plate would be the best rout to take because different positions require different lengths of pull.

    J E CUSTOM
    __________________
    "PRESS ON"
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 10-27-2013, 12:13 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2011
    Location: southeast Idaho
    Posts: 278
    Re: Preferred Length of Pull

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
    There is an average length (13 1/2) but this should be measured on every person because it is different on some and can effect there shooting if it is not correct.

    If you are not sure what yours is, Take your rifle and lay it on your forearm with you index finger on the trigger (Make sure it's not loaded) and it should just reach the inside of your arm with it bent.

    If it is short measure the difference and that with the stock length is what you length of pull is.

    Or you can just measure from your trigger finger to the bend in your arm.

    It is very important to have the correct length of pull for normal shooting. If you shoot position
    target an adjustable but plate would be the best rout to take because different positions require different lengths of pull.

    J E CUSTOM


    What position is this measurement for? Prone?
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 10-27-2013, 12:18 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2011
    Location: southeast Idaho
    Posts: 278
    Re: Preferred Length of Pull

    I must be longer armed then average I'm measuring 14 7/8 with my finger on the trigger. That seems really long. I've normally just adjusted stock to be comfortable but I'll have to try this and see if it helps.
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 10-27-2013, 04:24 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: Texas
    Posts: 6,921
    Re: Preferred Length of Pull

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shane1 View Post
    I must be longer armed then average I'm measuring 14 7/8 with my finger on the trigger. That seems really long. I've normally just adjusted stock to be comfortable but I'll have to try this and see if it helps.

    I have a 14.5 inch length of pull for normal shooting But on my match rifle I had an adjustable butt
    stock that I set to 13.0" for off hand, 14.25 for sitting and went all the way down to 12.0" for prone.

    I just built a rifle for a friend that has a 15.5 length of pull. so you are not that long.

    Most factory rifles are 13.5 to fit most everyone but they still have to build youth stocks shorter.

    If the stock is to short you have to move the scope two far forward and if it is to long you have to move it to far back so the fit is important especially for running shots. (It's just like having a shotgun that fits, You will wing shoot better).

    It is even more important to have the length of pull correct on hard kicking rifles in order to prevent saying hello to your scope with your eye.

    J E CUSTON
    __________________
    "PRESS ON"
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 10-28-2013, 02:50 PM
    Bronze Member
     
    Join Date: Sep 2012
    Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts: 87
    Re: Preferred Length of Pull

    Sorry I posted this incorrectly by mistake. I put the correct post in a poll above.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes



    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC