Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

View Poll Results: Prefered Barrel Manufacturer.
BRUX 11 24.44%
Hart 11 24.44%
Lilja 20 44.44%
Shilen 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Preferred Barrel for LRH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 10:26 PM
Silver Member

Re: Preferred Barrel for LRH

I have 2 Kriegers and they both shoot. I have a Pac Nor which is "almost" as good. On a 300 RUM I have a Hart and am satisfied...My next rifle will be a 7mm in some short mag...I will order a Bartlein 5c or a Rock with 5r rifling. My buddy just got an Edge with a Broughton and it is a shooter. Seems like they can all make a good barrel. I do prefer cut rifling although the button rifled barrels can be excellent as well....From your list I might take a flyer and try Brux...30-338
Old 01-23-2009, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member

iM a krieger fan. all I have used have shot very well, easy to machine. I have aslo had good luck with shilen, they can be hard to machine sometimes, I dont think they have there heat treating down 100% so you can get hard spots. I have seen harts that shoot lights out and wouldnt be scared to shoot one at all.

I havent had the best luck with lilja but that could have been a fluke.

If it was me I would look at krieger and hart with shilen nipping right on there heels. the other brands I havent used so I cant say yeah or neigh.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-338 View Post
I have 2 Kriegers and they both shoot. I have a Pac Nor which is "almost" as good. On a 300 RUM I have a Hart and am satisfied...My next rifle will be a 7mm in some short mag...I will order a Bartlein 5c or a Rock with 5r rifling. My buddy just got an Edge with a Broughton and it is a shooter. Seems like they can all make a good barrel. I do prefer cut rifling although the button rifled barrels can be excellent as well....From your list I might take a flyer and try Brux...30-338

Just curious here and I may be wrong but I don't think Bartlien offers a "5C." I think theirs are also 5R and Broughton offers 5C.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

5R...5C...the same thing. R stands for Russian. i think they are credited with being the originator of this type of rifling. the C means canted. same thing.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewilson View Post
5R...5C...the same thing. R stands for Russian. i think they are credited with being the originator of this type of rifling. the C means canted. same thing.
True. However, I was told (hearsay) that there is a very subtle difference and that is that the "C" is canted on one side only as a button wouldn't work on both sides of the land. Regardless, it is splitting hairs.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:39 PM
Platinum Member

the rifling that's only canted on one side is the "ratchet style" i think, not as sure on that one. 99% sure the C and the R are the same.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:45 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I will be honest, I use Lilja barrels for 90% of my customers rifles as well as my personal rifles. That said, if you get a top rung barrel such as those from Lilja, Hart, Broughton, Krieger, Rock, etc, the final accuracy potential of your rifle will have more to do with how its fitted to the receiver and the condition of the receiver itself then the actual barrel.

What I am saying is if you have a quality barrel, it will shoot very well if installed correctly. Not all barrels will shoot ALL bullets or loads amazingly well but a good barrel will have many loads it shoots very well.

I personally do not feel barrels such as Shilen, Douglas or Pac Nor barrels are top rung barrels. That said, I have fitted many dozens of these and they all met my 1/2 moa accuracy potential requirement. Again, the most important thing is getting them installed correctly by a quality smith of your choice.

I have installed several A&B barrels that only cost $90 per barrel and most of them shot extremely well. In fact my very first rifle I built was on a commerical mauser 98 with an A&B barrel chambered in 6.5-06 AI and its still punching 1/2 moa groups.

What you get with the top end barrels is consistancy from barrel to barrel and generally better grades of bore finishes which generally means less work to break them in and also easier cleaning in general.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com