Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

View Poll Results: Prefered Barrel Manufacturer.
BRUX 11 24.44%
Hart 11 24.44%
Lilja 20 44.44%
Shilen 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Preferred Barrel for LRH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2009, 08:55 AM
Bronze Member

Preferred Barrel for LRH

Good Morning.

I am a newbie to the forum. I have been reading for the last few days about custom rifles for the LHR of large game. There is a lot of information and a large number of members with incredable amounts of experience. That a great site. Any assistance y'all can provide is appreciated.

Most of my experience has been at ranges of 400 yards or less hunting whitetails in the southeast. THe average range for whitetails here is 75 yards. It is possiblel to get some longer shots if you hunt over corn or soybean fields or hunt in pulp wooded hardwood stands.

I am in the process of getting the equipment and learning how to hunt Antelope, Muleys and Elk out west. I am going to rebarrel a rifle to learn to shoot 1000 yards. Then at some point build a custom rifle. I like the 7mm, and I am rebarreling a 7mm WSM to shoot 168 and 180 Berger VLDs.

If you have experience with either rebarreling or custom builds for LHR, would you vote in the poll for the barrel manufacturer that you prefer based on accuracy and throat wear.

Thanks.

Mike

Last edited by 7mm Eclipse; 01-21-2009 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Additional info.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Preferred Barrel for LRH

Mine is not listed---Krieger and I have used Hart in the past. I use Krierger on all of mine competition and sporters.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:03 PM
Platinum Member

Of those posted I like Brux , their customer service is great and the turn around time is better.

I have had Kreiger , Bartlein , Broughton , Rock Creek , Obermeyer , Hart , Shilen , Pac-Nor and Brux and have to say that all shoot great and the 5r barrels from Obermeyer , rock and Bartlein do shoot a little faster.

Right now I'll be buying Brux barrels , from what I'm seeing from a couple guns built with them they shoot as well as Kreigers and are cheaper and take WAY less time to get
Old 01-21-2009, 12:34 PM
Platinum Member

The only cut rifled bbl on your list is Brux. I have been hearing some very good things about them although they are relatively new. Here is a video of a guy shooting IBS 600 with a Brux that set some record:

YouTube - BENCHREST SHOOTING

You didn't mention Broughton, Krieger, Bartlien, Obermeyer, Rock, and many others.

I spoke with one of the gentlemen at BAT Machine yesterday and they prefer Krieger and Bartlien, with the latter apparently impressing them quite a bit.

I really like the 5R/5C style rifling. My Obermeyer bbl has really impressed me.

I would buy a Brux in a heartbeat, but I voted for Hart as this company does NOT seem to discriminate their bbls based on its intended use. i.e., if you wanted to build a plane jane 270, they will lap and manufacture that bbl no different than a heavy bench bbl in 6mm or any other cal knowing it will be used for bench competition.

I have heard that Tim North, maker of Broughton bbls will redo his bbls more than anyone. If a 7mm tube doesn't turn out to his standard, he'll drill it bigger and start over as a different caliber.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:10 PM
Bronze Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. You can tell that I am a newbie by the limited number of barrels in my poll.

Thanks for the great YouTube video. If one picture is worth 1000 words, this video speaks volumes. Good Info.

Regards,

Mike
Old 01-21-2009, 08:42 PM
Platinum Member

Mike, I can post videos where hunters are killing game at really long ranges using Bartlien and Broughton bbls too. Shawn Carlock has some videos where he's shooting over 1000 yards and I think his bbl of choice is Hart.

Quite frankly, I think most of them are of exceptional quality and some make better bbls in certain diameters than others.

One very well known engineer/smith uses only Bartlien and Hart....one button rifled, one cut rifled. If I recall correctly, he prefers one make for 30 cal and larger and the other for under 30 cal.

Dave Bruno just built my friend's 270 on an old Remington action (prior to the 700, can't remember though, think it's a 78 maybe?) in ADL. The Jewel trigger was set to 1 pound. The bbl is a 3 groove Lilja SS, #3 contour--(3 groove bbls from Lilja come recommended by BAT also). The stock is H-S Precision also bedded with Devcon steel putty. I broke in the rifle for him.

His first day at the range with FACTORY Hornady SSTs in 130 and 140 gr produced multiple 3 shot groups less than 1/2" and one group that made basically a zero inch group. Yes, literally, one caliber sized hole. Those were the 140s. He also had 150s with the regular Interlocked bullet. Also, not one group greater than 3/4" at 100 yrds.

So, was it Dave Bruno's ability to put the gun together? The lilja bbl? Ammo? All of the above? I don't know.

Last edited by Derek M.; 01-21-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:33 PM
SPONSOR

Kreiger is probably top on my list of barrels I use. All of the mfg's listed above will make a good barrel. It all falls into persoanl preference. To me the companies that make one grade of barrel (top grade) are the best. The ones that have second rate barrels are just that... second rate. You can't go wrong with any of the choices mentioned so far.

www.mcrifles.com