Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

A Precision Ultralight Hunting Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 06:58 PM
PUBLISHER

Re: Spartan Arms Precision Ultralight Hunting Rifle

Tom

Yes, you can post gun brag topics, including who built it even if they aren't a Sponsor. That's all important to the site and I encourage it.

But...you openly encouraged a non-Sponsor to come on and promote himself. That's not fair to the paying Sponsors and some of them get upset with me if I tolerate it. If you want to start over, you can send me an edited post and I will insert it into the first post spot.

Len
Old 02-13-2013, 07:02 PM
Silver Member

Re: Spartan Arms Precision Ultralight Hunting Rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
Tom

Yes, you can post gun brag topics, including who built it even if they aren't a Sponsor. That's all important to the site and I encourage it.

But...you openly encouraged a non-Sponsor to come on and promote himself. That's not fair to the paying Sponsors and some of them get upset with me if I tolerate it. If you want to start over, you can send me an edited post and I will insert it into the first post spot.

Len
On its way. Thank you, Len.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:22 PM
Silver Member

First Range Report

After six rounds of factory to zero the scope (that's really the extent of my "break in"), I settled in with some test loads with H4831SC and H4350. All were with 140gr Berger Hunting VLD, virgin Lapua brass, and CCI BR-2 primers. COAL was 0.004" off the lands, for a 3.132" OAL and 2.458" length to ogive.

Unfortunately, I think I started too low.

The best load with the H4350 was the top load I had, and it was progressively improving as I pushed the bullet more. At 47.3 grains of H4350, I was showing my best group at 5/16", and 2754 fps. The best load with H4831SC was 51.5 grains, 0.25" and 2817 fps.

Qualitatively, I love this rifle. Its balance and manners were perfect. It shot everything well, when I did my part, recoil was mild, and the barrel just wouldn't heat up. The last fifteen rounds I shot one right after another, and there was no drift and the barrel stayed warm. Those rounds also included the best group of the day (the 1/4" one).

I'm going to clean it up and load up another set, starting at the most accurate and working up a bit. I really think I should be able to find something closer to 3000 fps. Then I'll start playing with OAL.

I suppose I should be finding a decent hunting load and then just preserving barrel life, but this rifle is too much fun to shoot.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:59 PM

Re: A Precision Ultralight Hunting Rifle

I'm glad to see the rifle lives up to your expectations Tom. It was definitely a hammer once you got into the hotter loads that it liked. It will be interesting to see if it does any better as you push it harder.

I'm very impressed with those carbon wrapped barrels from Proof and they are the only carbon barrels I'll use. I can't say too much about their manufacturing process, but I can say that they use thin carbon ribbons that are spun on in a helical pattern to a large diameter, rough turned down to an approximate dimension, then finished ground to final contour. They also make their own blanks in house so they have total control from start to finish. No other carbon barrel maker comes close. Now you can have a light weight barrel without having your groups open up after the third round

Marc Soulie
Spartan Precision Rifles
Concord, CA
https://www.facebook.com/SpartanPrecisionRifles?ref=hl
Old 02-22-2013, 10:40 PM
Silver Member

After some load testing, I'm now seeing H4831SC giving excellent results, 1/4" to 1/3" at 100 yards. I'm going to move out now to longer distances with the same loads.

Given the terminal ballistics reputation of the 140 gr Berger VLD, I'm betting that this can be my do-everything rifle.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:37 AM
Platinum Member

Nice rig.I built mine for packing.338 Norma 7-2 oz. bare.Dressed 9-14oz.sling,scope,atlas,aci
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
A Precision Ultralight Hunting Rifle-338-white.jpg  
Old 02-23-2013, 12:28 PM
Silver Member

I definitely traded some portability to get the adjustable stock. I'm sure that, with an ultralight stock, this would be a featherweight in the high 6s or low 7s.

But when it gets to anything beyond 300 yards, I just shoot much better with an adjustable stock.