Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Are post-Remington Dakotas as good as pre?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 01:36 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Are post-Remington Dakotas as good as pre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRHChinook View Post
I understood Accumarks were free floated with an aluminum bedding plate. 1) Would you bed the barrel and eliminate the free-float? 2) How can fiberglass bedding help if there's already an aluminum bedding plate?

To be honest, I haven't even taken the action out of the stock to look. I am going to get into the innerds of my Accumark shortly as I've ordered a replacement trigger spring. But that's the gist for another thread...

Another question: I know there are a number of sponsors to this forum that make custom rifles. But only Long Range Rifles LLC has a direct link in the header. How does this work? And LRR was not one of the makers suggested by Mark. Why?
The barrel shohld be free floated, the recoil lug should be bedded, and the action should be skim bedded. That's how precision rifles work, regardless of aluminum bed blocks of not. The aluminum helps, and makes them very strong and rigid...But it's not always a drop-in and go situation. And I'm seeing more and more Accumarks needing the lugs and actions bedded, which leads me to believe this could be a persistant factory issue.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Have you contacted Weatherby?
Yes. They asked if I'd confirmed the problem using their premium ammunition ($$$). I had not.

Following that, I did find some Weatherby .257 ammo at Cabelas and bought 2 boxes. Remember, my .257 does shoot sub-moa using my hand loads. But with the Weatherby ammo, it only shot 3.3 moa. OK, I shot 6 shots and 4 of them were sub-moa but two were way out and it was not the last two (#1 and #6 were outside the group). So much for Weatherby "premium" ammo... I have 34 rounds left to give to someone :-)

I guess if I want to pursue this with Weatherby, I'll have to spring for some Weatherby ammo in 300 Win Mag (I have not seen that lately...) and even if I do that and confirm there's a problem, I'm not optimistic at getting a resolution.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes. They asked if I'd confirmed the problem using their premium ammunition ($$$). I had not.

Following that, I did find some Weatherby .257 ammo at Cabelas and bought 2 boxes. Remember, my .257 does shoot sub-moa using my hand loads. But with the Weatherby ammo, it only shot 3.3 moa. OK, I shot 6 shots and 4 of them were sub-moa but two were way out and it was not the last two (#1 and #6 were outside the group). So much for Weatherby "premium" ammo... I have 34 rounds left to give to someone :-)

I guess if I want to pursue this with Weatherby, I'll have to spring for some Weatherby ammo in 300 Win Mag (I have not seen that lately...) and even if I do that and confirm there's a problem, I'm not optimistic at getting a resolution.
Well, anything you do to "modify" the rifle will undoubtedly void any warrantee. So if you think there is any hope of getting resolution with Weatherby, the best thing to do is probably by the premium Weatherby ammo and fire it. If it doesn't shoot and you don't get satisfaction from Weatherby you can either try to sell it or fix it. I was in the same dilemma. I have tried both to a degree. I'm honest about how it shoots so no one has wanted to take it on. Next step for me is a new barrel and stock.

If you decide to keep it and try to fix it the first thing I would do is bed it and also check the contact of the lugs. It's fairly simple to do and there are you tube tutorials on it. If you find they need lapping, you can attempt that as well or give it to a smith. Not too hard to do on simple 2 lug bolts but probably a little tricky on the Mark V actions. Next step would be full out acculturation and new barrel. I know a good smith who loves Mark V's and if anyone can make one shoot, he can.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 09-23-2013, 04:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Free .257 Wby ammo you say? I'll take them...

Also, if you rebarrel either of your .257 or .300 Wby, I'll take the old Accuamark barrels, if you're chunking them...I can use them to ream the chamber and fireform brass for my wildcat calibers, since accuracy and stability is not important...I am mainly interested in the stainless fluted Accumark barrels.

Please let me know what shipping will cost and what you want for them and we'll work out a deal.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:20 PM

Thanks for all the replies to my Weatherby problem. I'll PM to close out the questions asked.

But... we definitely got sidetracked from my ACTUAL question, which was are the new, guided by Remington, Dakotas as good as the older ones?

Does anyone have any experience on this?

Thanks