Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

POST FOR A FRIEND

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2003, 04:35 AM
Silver Member

Re: POST FOR A FRIEND

Noise was a concern with the brake, but the removable break is a possibility. Sometimes its the simple things like the removable break with the thread protectors you miss. I sure missed that idea! Thanks!

I was leaning toward the 6.5-06 Ackley, or Gibbs for a project for myself. His action is the Magnum bolt face. If building a Magnum start with a magnum action, that was always my feeling. In this case the 6.5's will be a problem, since some alteration will be needed and drive the cost up (ANY IDEAS HERE?) He is still uncertain at this point. Thanks for the ideas and keep them coming!!!!!!!!!

Frank D [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
null

[ 03-18-2003: Message edited by: demarpaint ]
Old 03-18-2003, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member

Demarpaint

The noise problem with a LR hunting rifle with a break, in the winter time can be eleminated with the use of the "Peltor" tactical ear protectors.

Not only does it allow you to hear woods sounds MUCH further then you could without them, they also shut down the second the rifle is fired and then comes right back on. They also keep your ears warm.

It's a fact, the brake will allow "anyone" to shoot a high recoil rifle MUCH more accuratly at a target when using multiple shots. It also allows you to spot your own shot while hunting much easier.
Many at the 1000 yard matches even have breaks on their 6.5/284 rifles for that reason.

Accuracy and brakes go hand in hand even for the LR hunter unless he has a "heavy" 50 or 60# bench mounted rifle.

DC [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2003, 09:49 AM
Platinum Member

WW

It was only a little snot... but it did however come flying out pretty fast!!!

That was a rifle the weighed in at about 16 pounds, we (I say "we" because others had the snot jarring pleasure of shooting it to!) shot the Sierra 300 SMK at 2825fps. I traded that rifle away TWICE and it came back after the shooters (whimps) fired a few rounds. A third fella has that rifle now, he's fired it before on hunts and isn't too whimp like so I believe it's found a new home.

I don't like using a brake because of the additional noise. I too have used the Peltor Tactical 6S earpieces.. Pretty nice system, uses sound compression over 80 something dB. I can still hear the round strike the critter using this system so I haven't lost any hunting feedback info. I do however wonder about the total protection provided by the system, I do believe I'm still loosing some hearing.

I believe I'd go for a big 30 caliber before heading off into the big 338 caliber(s).
Old 03-18-2003, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member

Interesting line here, any comments on whether those brakes are hard on scopes? Only rifle that I have with a break has gone thru two good scopes, same problem, two different brands. Question about if scopes can withstand the forward impulse well since they are designed for recoil going one way.
[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2003, 11:08 AM
Platinum Member

Ian

Never had a problem with any of the muzzle breaks on the 16 1/2 LB rifles at 1000 yard matches where multiple shots are fired.
My wife would not be able to shoot 15 to 20 rounds with that rifle in that length of time. I don't like recoil either and anyone who says they do, has never shot in a 1000 yard match and with multiple rounds fired from a high recoil rifle.

My wife and I both shoot 300 Weatherby's with 210, 220 and 240 gr bullets. The scopes we use are the Leupolds and we have NEVER had a problem to date.

I also use the Peltor muffs during the matches. Works fine for hunting too.

Later
DC
Old 03-18-2003, 01:33 PM
Platinum Member

Shakey

You don't really have to "think" about it, after the first shot fired from a high recoil rifle, your group will many times double in size at 1000 yards, especially when attemting to keep 10 shots in the bull.

If hunting, and only one shot is fired, could be a different story.
I always said, a hunter with a trophy in his sights could stand behind a "howitzer" and pull the trigger and he "may" not feel it.
Adrenalin rush.

I really don't believe anybody likes to put up with recoil if it honestly thumps you.

Brakes shrink groups in high recoil, multiple shot senerio's. No doubt about it.

Later
DC [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Shakey As an add on here---What's this about "grooved" bullets I see you promoting?

We had some years ago from Norma or Lapua, I don't remember which and they didn't do very well at Williamsport?

Have they (the ones your promoting) been tested at 1000 yards or further or are they not designed for that yardage?

[ 03-18-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]
Old 03-18-2003, 07:15 PM

DC,

Tests are being conducted and will be conducted on the effectiveness of Groove Bullets at long range. Once the tests are complete I can then give you details.

So far, at closer distances - to 300 yards - they definately have accuracy.

Once I receive more info I will pass it along.

Don