Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Possible New Bullet Venture

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 02:48 PM
Bronze Member

Possible New Bullet Venture

Hey All,

I talked with Len this afternoon about a company I am thinking about setting up that would make bullets suited to long range hunting, etc.. Len game me permission to get the pulse of the members here about what calibers, weights, and other characteristics folks would want to see used in long range bullets (hunting or otherwise).

So, what kind of calibers would folks be interested in?

What weights per caliber?

Other characteristics such bonded cores? Copper bullets? Bullets with a partial tungsten core?

What would folks expect to pay for a box of 50? (No, they're not free )

Please let me know if there are any other characteristics folks would like to see!

Thanks to one and all!

-- Peter
Retired from the Corporate Wars
World Traveler and Freedom Fighter
Old 08-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Possible New Bullet Venture

Peter, I am glad you posted this. There are a few ideas I've had cramping up in the old skull for a while, that I would like to see done, that Berger can't get to right now, because of how backed up they are after this whole Obama gun ban nightmare crap.

.257 caliber, 130gr, VLD style, solid copper, completely bonded HPBT with a long bearing surface for solid rifling contact

.284 (7mm) caliber, 210gr, VLD style, solid copper, completely bonded HPBT with a long bearing surface for solid rifling contact

Those would be the 2 I would be most interested in seeing.

Let me know if you need a test mule... I would love to help in my .257 Wby, and my numerous 7mm caliber rifles.

For a box of 50, I think $30 is a fair price. That's what Nosler sells the Accubonds for, and that's about what 50 Berger bullets would cost.

Personally, I think packaging options of 20, 50, and 100 would be cool. 20 packs for testing and development, and 50 and 100 packs for bulk purchase.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member

What we really need is another powder extruder........

and primer stamper......

Check out Cutting Edge Bullets. Made to order for you...for a price.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Platinum Member

Cutting Edge is overpriced, IMO.

If my only option is to pay out my ass, I'm gonna just keep shooting what I know works.... Just saying.

But I think it would be great to see someone build specialty bullets that don't cost a black market kidney...Wouldn't yall?

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:36 PM
Platinum Member

6mm , 30 cal, and 338 for me. Maximum weight and a true BC that is equal or above what we are now using. Lead core, copper jacket, hollow point with maybe the back 1/3 rd bonded as long as long range consistency and accuracy does not suffer from the bonding.

Jeff
Old 08-06-2013, 03:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
6mm , 30 cal, and 338 for me. Maximum weight and a true BC that is equal or above what we are now using. Lead core, copper jacket, hollow point with maybe the back 1/3 rd bonded as long as long range consistency and accuracy does not suffer from the bonding.

Jeff
This^^ I really like the idea of the back 1/3 bonded, its been in my head for a while now. Also possibly a metal or plastic tip.
I would like to see them in 6.5, 7mm, 30, and 338. Maybe a 145-155 grain 6.5, a 185-195 grain 7mm, a 210-240 grain 30 cal, and 300-330 grain 338. The bullets would have to have a higher BC than the 140 berger VLD for the 6.5, 180 vld for 7mm, higher or equal too BC to the 210-230 berger targets in 30 cal, and higher BC than the 300 grain berger OTM in 338 cal. Good luck!

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 08-06-2013, 04:05 PM
Platinum Member

No plastic tips for me please, and I am not that crazy about metal tips either. Metal is not a deal breaker, just not my personal preference. A consistent hollow point leading to a good sized void will do me fine.

Jeff