Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Poor man's grand

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 10:59 PM

Poor man's grand

I'm looking at a Remington 300WM in either the 5R 26" mil spec, HS stocked or the Sendero II. They look to be be very similar, but what do y'all think?
Old 08-26-2013, 02:13 PM
Gold Member

Re: Poor man's grand

I have heard nothing but good things on both rifles. The 5R rifling though is supposedly the best factory barrel available. For out of the box rifles i dont think you can go wrong with either. My remington 700 SPS tactical in .308 shoots 180 grain SMKs into the same hole at 100 yards with its 20 inch factory barrel. If they make it 300 win mag that might be another rifle to check out.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:38 PM
Platinum Member

I say you can't go wrong with either one. Both have HS stocks, and both are .300 WM with 26" stainless barrels. Both use a stainless/jeweled 700 action. The ONLY differences is one has a fluted barrel with 6-lands & grooves and has a gray/black stock, and the other uses Obermeyer 5R rifling, and has a green/black stock.

I have a 5R .308 Win, and 2 Senderos...I target shoot only with my 5R .308. And I hunt & target shoot with my Senderos.

If I had a .300 WM 5R (I'll have a barrel soon to put on my spare 700 magnum action laying around) I would most likely hunt with it, too, but I don't want to hunt with the .308 Win caliber when I have more effective long range calibers to hunt with.

Both will be equally tack-driving accurate from my experiences.

So, I guess it really comes down to fluted & gray, or non-fluted & green.

To me the 5R is more tactical, and the Sendero is more for hunting. But there's nothing wrong with either one for both.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:39 PM

Can't speak for anything but the sendero as I haven't held or shot the other rifle. I absolutely love my rifle with the exception of the hand position of the HS Precision stock and the way it puts my finger in an awkward manner over the trigger...your body isn't the same as mine though (I might have long fingers!). As for accuracy she's 1/2 MOA at 200 yards on an average day.

I installed a muzzle brake and jewell trigger, bedded the action, and lapped the scope rings. No action work needed.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:03 PM

I was able to go into Houston today and hit Gander Mountain. They had a Sendero in 7 mag. I was able to get a feel for the stock and weight. Both were really good. I like the palm swell and rough feel to the stock. The Sendero is a sharp looking rifle! From what I've seen so far the 5R is about $200 cheaper on a few sites I've found. I can't find one in any shops in Houston, Austin or SA.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:49 AM
Gold Member

Have you been to McBrides in Austin? Also, there is guns galore in Killeen and guns plus in georgetown. Guns galore has about 3500 rifles on there selves! I know McBrides has a section of their racks dedicated solely to rem 700s.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:21 PM

Ordered the 5R today. can't wait for it to come in!