Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

POI change on coldbore shot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 10:09 AM
Silver Member

Re: POI change on coldbore shot

Your rifle is not zeroed for your cold bore shot. It's zeroed for a warm bbl.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:03 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Hey Ultramag45,
Call me at the shop, 360-652-2594
Talk soon,
Chris
Benchmark Barrels
Old 12-02-2013, 03:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
Well it sounds like you've prepped for ******* around.
If you've decided now to hunt, you'll need to prep for this instead.

I wish I had been paying attention and read this response, pretty much the same thing I wrote. Guess my observation wasn't needed haha.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcub View Post
I wish I had been paying attention and read this response, pretty much the same thing I wrote. Guess my observation wasn't needed haha.
If I am not mistaken the fella is not asking a stupid question about his zero. He is asking what may be causing this big of difference between first and second shots? I know that many of you experts only take one shot, but some of us idiots need more then one shot.
He clearly stated that the barrel is free floated and is a consistent difference between first and second shot.
I have a 300wm with a octagon Lilja on a m70 action currently in a piece of junk manners gat stock that i hate! It is pillar bedded and free floated. Very similar issues.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member

Anyone who tells you it's OK to have a POI change that much and all you need to do is change your zero is full it!!
The last thing a guy needs is a long range rifle that walks around, if your wind call is a little of and you need a second round the very last thing you need is to be trying to figure out how much to compensate for the second round.
Or like I do as often as I can shoot a couple animals while their standing there wondering why one of them just laid down, if I get on a pack of wolves the only thing I'm doing is cycling my bolt not worrying about my POI changing from my first shot!!
A POI change that you have to compensate for is unacceptable!!!!! IMO
Old 12-02-2013, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
if your wind call is a little of and you need a second round the very last thing you need is to be trying to figure out how much to compensate for the second round.
You're right, it is the last thing to think about there. The first thing should be why you missed, and next should be what are you going to do about that.

Quote:
A POI change that you have to compensate for is unacceptable!!!!!
And yet reality
~10" at 600yds sounds like a big problem to me -to notice at 600yds. It wasn't noticed closer I guess.
But even once he's fixed the issue, he will still likely have a POI shift from cold to hot barrel. Even the best in BR guns shift a bit from cold and it can be seen at 100yds.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Or like I do as often as I can shoot a couple animals while their standing there wondering why one of them just laid down, if I get on a pack of wolves the only thing I'm doing is cycling my bolt not worrying about my POI changing from my first shot!!
A POI change that you have to compensate for is unacceptable!!!!! IMO
A genius Has spoken!
Two elk tags filled, five wolf tags in my pocket, three deer tags ready for soup, two antelope tags not drawn!
The 300wm gets shelved until the cold bore issue is solved. We did not kill any elk further then 300 yards this year so it was no real issue. With the size of the kill zone shrinking from a 24"x24" elk to a 6"x6" area on a wolf. Its time to put my 243 in the saddle scabbard, 300rum big iron keeps its place on the pack horse, with the addition of the trapping panniers!
So is it gun smithing, the barrel, the bedding, or the nut on the reloading press and trigger?