Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Please help sighting issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 09:20 PM

Please help sighting issues

Hello I have a Remington 700 adl I have a vortex diamondback scope on the gun and I am having major issues sighting this gun in. I free floated the barrel on the gun and have tried different ammo but am now using rem core lokt 150 gr. Which I have had success w in the past. I'm not sre what it might b but seems like wen it warms up the bullet goes way off my left to right stays on close but up and down moves about 4-6 inches sometimes up sometimes down and this us at 100 yds its driving me crazy and ammo is not the cheapest thing ever. I was shooting the gun in a vice don't no if tht may have messed something up or the free floating I did or wat? Any help would b amazing I have a deer tag to fill in a couple months and gotta be dead on where I hunt u expect to shoot at least 200-300 yds on average and Im not even confident at 100! I have also checked tht everything is tight as well. Thanks Bri
Old 08-07-2012, 10:26 PM
Gold Member

Re: Please help sighting issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri656 View Post
Hello I have a Remington 700 adl I have a vortex diamondback scope on the gun and I am having major issues sighting this gun in. I free floated the barrel on the gun and have tried different ammo but am now using rem core lokt 150 gr. Which I have had success w in the past. I'm not sre what it might b but seems like wen it warms up the bullet goes way off my left to right stays on close but up and down moves about 4-6 inches sometimes up sometimes down and this us at 100 yds its driving me crazy and ammo is not the cheapest thing ever. I was shooting the gun in a vice don't no if tht may have messed something up or the free floating I did or wat? Any help would b amazing I have a deer tag to fill in a couple months and gotta be dead on where I hunt u expect to shoot at least 200-300 yds on average and Im not even confident at 100! I have also checked tht everything is tight as well. Thanks Bri
Do you have a 2nd scope to try? Seems like you have taken care of the other obvious things.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:56 PM

I don't have a second scope at this time but did contact vortex ( who's customer service was awesome!) and they sent me a shipping label so I could send in the scope to get it checked out to see if that's my problem .. I just don't feel like it is and feel like I've covered other bases as well and didn't know if all rifles shoot well with a floated barrel or if maybe I messed it up by doing tht or any other ideas .. Thanks for the reply!! I appreciate all help and suggestions!
Old 08-07-2012, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
What warms up? the barrel or the air temp around you?

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 08-07-2012, 11:54 PM

The barrel.. Rite now where I live it's like 105-115 degrees in the day when I go to shoot but it stays Bout tht hot the whole time I'm out there
Old 08-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
The barrel.. Rite now where I live it's like 105-115 degrees in the day when I go to shoot but it stays Bout tht hot the whole time I'm out there
WOW at those temps I'd recommend shooting ONE (1) round every 20-25 minutes!!! You could shorten this time way down by shooting 1 round, placing your gun in an airconditioned vehicle for a few minutes with air blowing on barrel, until cold, same temp as 1st shot....It sounds to me like you are way over heating the barrel and then the rounds just "walk" all over the place, most times in a rough kinda circle motion????Hope this helps it really sounds like the trouble in my opinion,,,just from reading your post?????

WAITIN FOR THE NEXT
Old 08-08-2012, 09:15 AM
Silver Member

Also I do not like vices...they impede the natural twists and vibrations of the firearm from the stock and the barrel..the vibrations are so fast that a vibration "wave" goes the length of the barrel and back several times BEFORE a projectile can exit...vices changes all that..

WAITIN FOR THE NEXT