Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Please help me choose a barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2014, 09:33 PM
Silver Member

Re: Please help me choose a barrel

Hurry up and wait.

I just waited 13 weeks for a barrel. I shouldn't complain since that is relatively short compared to some manufacturers. Its showing up in the brown truck tomorrow.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:00 PM
Silver Member

I recently built a 7mm RM on a Remington action with a Benchmark barrel. It's a 1/9 twist in the rem/Sendero contour with 5r rifling. I sent the action to Benchmark and had them square the action, chamber and mount the barrel. Just last week I finished load development with 168 Berger VLD's in front of 68.5 gr of H1000. After playing with seating depth it is consistently shooting in the .3's at 100 yards.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
I recently built a 7mm RM on a Remington action with a Benchmark barrel. It's a 1/9 twist in the rem/Sendero contour with 5r rifling. I sent the action to Benchmark and had them square the action, chamber and mount the barrel. Just last week I finished load development with 168 Berger VLD's in front of 68.5 gr of H1000. After playing with seating depth it is consistently shooting in the .3's at 100 yards.
crazyhorse, I'm glad you said that. I was seriously thinking about going with Benchmark for a few reasons, first their growing reputation, and they were extremely helpful and very nice on the phone, taking the time to explain things to me. Also their wait time is not as ridiculous as other brands and their price isn't too outrageous. They quoted me $495 for a stainless barrel which includes chambering and threading. I'm also pleased to hear about the accurate loads with the H-1000 as it is one of my favorite powders.

Thank you all for your replies, it has helped alot
Old 04-29-2014, 12:13 AM
Platinum Member

Dan, you should also look into IMR 7828 SSC. I use it over H1000 in my magnums now, if that tells you anything. It's also REALLY universal. I use it from .25-06 AI up to my big ole .300 Ackley Mag. Seems to be nice and temp stable, too.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:54 PM

Well, I ordered it today. I went with a Benchmark stainless 27" standard palma contour, 5r rifling, 1:8.5 twist. It was $295. They helped me find one in stock at 3rd generation shooting supply, so I wouldn't have to wait. They were still 4 months out for chambering and threading, so they recommended a guy in Pendleton Oregon, close to me, named Darin Blagg, who is going to install it on my action for $200. I'm getting excited, can't wait to try it out! Someday, when I have more funds, I will upgrade the stock and trigger.