Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Please help me choose a barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2014, 11:41 PM

Please help me choose a barrel

My wife wants to buy me a barrel for my birthday but I'm having trouble choosing one. I have a Savage 7mm rem mag action and this will be a hunting rifle. I have decided to go with a stainless barrel around 26 to 28 inches long. I'm looking at several top barrel manufacturers. I need help choosing a contour, there are so many. Being heavy doesn't bother me to an extent, I'm mostly interested in accuracy. I shoot 168 berger vld's, 168 nosler LRAB's and 171 match burners. I'm leaning toward a 1:9 twist.

Given this info, what manufacturer and countour would you choose if money was not in the equation? Thanks

Old 04-28-2014, 12:04 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Please help me choose a barrel

26-28" is perfect.
1:9 is perfect.
Rem Varmint/Sendero contour is my favorite heavy barrel contour, and it is a nice compromise for weight, rigidity, & accuracy.

Also, if you can find one with 5R rifling. I really like the design of the 5R, as it doesn't create a pinch-point while the bullet is engaged with the rifling when traveling down the barrel. It's also seems easier to clean to me, and the barrels seem to be a little bit "slicker" when running a patch and brush down it. They also clean up quicker and don't seem to collect as much copper at my 6-groove standard rifled barrels do.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:13 AM
Gold Member

Bartlein 5R Barrel, straight taper, 1:9

American riflemans triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:18 AM

Hey Dan. Good Wife you have there! There are I am sure several good manufacturers out there. I have owned K&P (now out of business I believe), Shillen, Broughton and most recently Krieger. The K&P's shot great as well as the Broughton. Shillen was ok. I have had what I consider outstanding luck of my Krieger barrel. Just finished a 264 win mag long range hunting rig and it has performed quite well out to 700 yds, haven't had an opportunity to stretch it legs out any further just yet.

My most recent Krieger is 27-1/2" long and LV contour, which I did not have fluted. It sits in an magnum fill weight A-5 McMillan, so it weighs in about 15-1/2 lbs including scope, rings and bases. Not something I necessarily want to carry through the mountains, but a deadly bean field rig and that is what I built it for.

I will caution you before you call Krieger, they have a 10 month lead time if ordering direct. However, look up Bruno's Shooters Supply, they keep a pretty good rotation of barrels in and that is where I ended up purchasing mine.

Good luck!
Old 04-28-2014, 06:44 PM

For a hunting rifle I would go with a Remington varmit/sendero contour. But that's me and everybody comments on how heavy my rifles are. Also I have a 8lb 300rum krieger #5 contour with no brake that I like real well. As far as manufactures I would go Brux, Krieger, Bartlein for cut rifle barrels or a Hart or a schneider. "Yeah I am a barrel snob".
Old 04-28-2014, 07:38 PM

One more question... should I get a Savage drop in or have it chambered and threaded by the manufacturer by sending them my action? Some of the barrel makers I called really frowned on drop in barrels.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:23 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H View Post
One more question... should I get a Savage drop in or have it chambered and threaded by the manufacturer by sending them my action? Some of the barrel makers I called really frowned on drop in barrels.
If you're looking for a drop-in barrel you might want to focus on Shilen.

Welcome to Shilen Rifles, Inc.

http://www.shilen.com/savageBarrels.html

American riflemans triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.