Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Pleasant surprise with Remington 700-M40 Sniper Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 07:20 AM
Platinum Member

Pleasant surprise with Remington 700-M40 Sniper Rifle

Several years ago I had the opportunity to buy a NIB Commemorative Remington M40 Sniper rifle. It was a limited edition run of the Viet Nam era 700 that recognized the Marine Scout Snipers. It's a parkerized 700 varmint barrel with a plain oiled wood ADL stock, clip cuts on the top of the receiver, and a serial number that is continuation of the originals. It also has Wichita swivels, original style sling, papers, and box with a dedicated painting on it. When I got it I mounted Redfield flat finish scope mounts I had from my youth, and a 60's vintage 3x9 Redfield scope which was the typical model used with the rifle. It had sat in my gun case along side a few vintage rifles I had collected over the years, with no intention of shooting it. I finally broke down and decided see how it shot. After a quick sight in with some 308 168 SMK, 43 gr IMR 4895 hand loads shot a 200 yard, three shot group that measured 3/8"!!! I cleaned it, put it back in the case, but sure I'm sure tempted to do some serious shooting with it.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt

Old 01-25-2013, 09:22 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Pleasant surprise with Remington 700-M40 Sniper Rifle

Tools are no good just sitting in the box. Take it out and let it work.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:27 AM
Silver Member

That gun was not built to sit in a safe waiting on someone to allow it to rot away. Think of this. If you keep it forever, are your grandkids really going to know it's significance, if they do are they going to look at it or will they either shoot it or sell it. It is a .308, LOTS of barrel life there. You can enjoy it and they can as well. Or if they sell it will they really get what it is worth? You hope so of course, but you never know. Shoot it and have fun with it so it won't get its feelings hurt.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:02 PM
Platinum Member

I have pretty much always had the same mindset as you guys. Very few guns that I own have collected dust. Since it is a "collectable" and I have other 308's of which two are Milspecs, its not really neccessary for me to shoot it. I quess I shot it out of sheer curiosity and that has,at least for the moment, been satisfied. I do think I will give it a run if one of the neigboring clubs repeats a vintage Sniper Shoot again this year. That would for sure be too hard to resist.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 01-25-2013, 12:12 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I have pretty much always had the same mindset as you guys. Very few guns that I own have collected dust. Since it is a "collectable" and I have other 308's of which two are Milspecs, its not really neccessary for me to shoot it. I quess I shot it out of sheer curiosity and that has,at least for the moment, been satisfied. I do think I will give it a run if one of the neigboring clubs repeats a vintage Sniper Shoot again this year. That would for sure be too hard to resist.
You better bring the box and papers!!! They will call you a cheater! LOL
Old 01-25-2013, 07:57 PM
Platinum Member

Can you post a photo of her?
Old 01-25-2013, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Academy View Post
Can you post a photo of her?
It will take me a few days since I need to use my work computer to post, but here is a link of photos of the same rifle.

remington commemorative m40 - Google Search