Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Playing with triggers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2005, 06:21 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Playing with triggers

I'd be real careful taking the factory Rem trigger below 3lbs with the stock spring installed. The spring has marginal preload to hold the connector in place, any dirt in the assembly can get you into trouble quick. Holland makes a replacement spring which allows you to take the trigger down to 2 1/2lbs and have the connector function properly.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:41 AM
Gold Member

I know what you meant! My Sako 300WM and WW .25-06 both break, my guess at 1.5-2.5 lbs. I have taken lots of animals with both. The actual # don't matter to me; I want it smooth with minimal travel.

I have a Wilson Combat 45 ACP with the trigger set by Wilson to about 2 lbs. They "overtuned" it as I have had it on numerous occasions fire the last couple rounds on my behalf. It sounds and looks cool, but it has nearly cost me some clean draws on more than one occasion. I cannot have this happen on my hunting rig; therefore, I just want it tuned to 2-3 lbs. Four lbs will work if I can tune the creep/overtravel out.

The current trigger does not mess me up at 535 yards, but I do pull fliers with it at 100 yards. I guess I take more time and concentrate more at longer ranges. I think a smooth trigger can eliminate all of that.

Thanks for all your advice with this. I'll be sure to let you all know how bad I screw it up or well it goes. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2005, 08:24 PM
Bronze Member

At one time remmington had photo instructions on their website of how to properly adjust a factory trigger, but they did strongly reccomend not doing it.

Old 10-25-2005, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

Now the set screw heads are sealed and if you send a rifle to them for work they will reset the adjustments to factory specs and reseal the screws "free of charge".