Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Playing a 1K.. not bad for a Sat. Morning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2005, 01:17 PM

Playing a 1K.. not bad for a Sat. Morning

Well, when things go right things go right I guess. Even I can have a real good day now and again. Or maybe all my Zodiak stars were in alignment this morning.

I'd like to think it has alot to do with the guy who built the rifle.

Anywho.... here's the deal....

10:30 a.m. up the mountian I go to my 1000 yard spot. I have some sandstone rocks there and I play there often. I am gearing back up for some mule deer hunting of my own so I wanted to keep in tune. lay out the drag bag shooting mat.. open the bi-pod.. get the bean bag out and get all comfortable like...I started whacking away at the rocks ranges between 945 and 1026.. bang..poof.. bang...poof ...this went on for a while and I though hmmm.. maybe I'll shoot some groups...

so I set up my portable target stand make one of my speacialty custom targets and go back to the little nest area... range the target... 1013 yards..okey doakie close enough... take an estimate of the wind...hmmm 5mph gusting to about 7 or 8...left to right...

let me try 5 rounds of the 162 a-max...

inhale .. release... inhale .. half out - bang! do this 5 times and hop on the 4-wheeler and off to the target I go...

WELL HOLY $H!T

ok make another exclusive custom target and....

putt putt putt... I go back to my little nest area...got lotsa bugs in my teeth cause I'm smiling so big.. ptoooeyy.. damn grasshopper...

Back at the nest now..hmm I havn't done alot of work with the 175's I have loaded up....

hmm wind just about the same and readjust the elevations for the heavier bullet....

inhale .. release.. inhale half out.. bang! did this 5 times and the dust clouds seemed real close together and... hey.... those Williamsport guys shoot 10.. better try 5 more... hmm that felt pretty good...

jump on the wheely buggie and putt..putt..putt.. to the traget I go... GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY!!! What the F... is going on here...

I think I'm gonna be ill.... better go buy some frames to remind myself that I did this once!!!... once!
Old 10-22-2005, 01:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Playing a 1K.. not bad for a Sat. Morning

Ric,

Your problem is obvious. Observation of those custom targets show the left side sloping off on both. Wonder if that's worth a patent.

Good shooting.

Also it shows effort you put into it the adjustments for the different bullet weights was spot on. Nice work.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:50 PM
SPONSOR

Great shooting! I assume it was all done off of a bipod?
Old 10-22-2005, 01:55 PM

patent.. hmmm... I'll pay the lawyer as much as I have in the target...

lemme see... 1 Sharpie, 6 sheets of 8 1/2 by 11 copy paper... yup I have $2.34 for a lawyer!!!

Bi-pod.. you betcha.. is there any other way to shoot practical LR? .. hehehe

wow... now where did I put those frames...
Old 10-22-2005, 02:32 PM
Platinum Member

Ric, Is the 10 shot group a 5.062" ctr to ctr of the two longest? if so and 1013 yards away that that'd be a
0.4773 MOA group in the wind.... Would you sell a rifle like that? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 10-22-2005, 04:43 PM

Well.. I didin't measure but since yousa askin...

5 shot group 4.308 CtC = 4.025
10 shot group 5.856 CtC = 5.572

Hey everythings for sale.. but what is the price ... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2005, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member

Aren't those groups supposed to be on the blue stuff? Well, better luck next time.

Snicker