Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

planning a new build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 01:03 PM

planning a new build

Im new here, and coincidently this is my first post so here it goes. Im planning a build on a stevens 200 short action, im going with a sss trigger and probably a douglas barrel chambered in .260 rem. Im looking for ideas on stocks... I've looked at B&C, Stockade, Choate, McMillan, and HS. Well the last two are kind of out of budget, and the others im not sold on yet. Is there any others I should be looking at?
Old 03-31-2012, 01:26 PM
Silver Member

Re: planning a new build

You could also look at Manners, they are a bit pricy but well worth it, same as McMillan.

Mike
Old 03-31-2012, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome to LRH. Two things, first... you should consider the Rifle Basix trigger over the SSS trigger. I've heard of some problems mechanically with the trigger after a lot of firings. The Rifle Basix trigger is the go to for Savage/Stevens rifles. Second, the Stockade Stocks are very nice. My cousin uses one and if I don't go with and XLR Industries stock, it will more than likely be a Stockade. I currently own the B&C Medalist A2 for my Savage, but the ergonomics on the Stockade are a lot nicer. Good luck with your build. Can't wait to see the finished product. Make sure you look into the bolt lift kit from Stockade, seems to really smooth the bolt lift. Another suggestion, make sure your firing pin only protrudes from the bolt face .050"-.055" for good accuracy and reliability. Welcome to the barrel nut brotherhood too!!

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-31-2012, 06:59 PM

Thanks for the replies y'all, and tank ill definitely look into the rifle basix. Also thank you for the firing pin tip!