Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Pillar bed or glass bed?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2007, 11:29 AM
Bronze Member

Pillar bed or glass bed?

Which is better. Pros & cons? Thannks
Old 01-16-2007, 03:15 PM
Gold Member

Re: Pillar bed or glass bed?

This has been beat to death on this, and other forums for years. The only other topics that come close are Moly or not, and Barrel break-in. If you have a bolt action rifle and you want the best bedding job available, go pillars and epoxy. Forget "glass bedding".
Old 01-16-2007, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member

I like Brownells Steelbed and pillars together. The Steelbed cures slow, but it doesn't run and drip all over the place. The pillars prevent slow crushing on wood stocks with action screws torqued to 75-85 in/lbs. This torque range seems to help hold hard kicking rifles better than 65 in/lbs. Be sure that the action screws don't touch anywhere on the bore of the pillars. If they bear any part of the recoil, the rifle will not settle down. Also, fit your own action screws to get full thread engagement in the receiver. Make the ends fit flush with the inside of the receiver and don't grind any thread lead on them. Use socket heads because they are easy to torque.

Just one opinion on a popular subject. Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 01-17-2007, 05:48 AM
Bronze Member

I'll agree pillars are the best after having a problem with a rifle that all of a sudden with south [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] The bedding had collapsed..or the wood under it. So now pillars are in. No need to beat a dead horse twice. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 01-17-2007, 07:44 AM
Chawlston

[ QUOTE ]
Which is better. Pros & cons? Thannks

[/ QUOTE ]

My gunsmith does both. He installs pillars because they will never wear out and he also beds the entire action to ensure you can remove it and replace in into the stock in exactly the same place. We all know that glue-ins are the most accurate becasue they make the whole setup monolithic (ie one-piece). Using pillars and full bedding of the action is the closest to a glue-in. My 2 cents.

James
Old 01-17-2007, 08:25 AM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
... go pillars and epoxy. Forget "glass bedding".

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you go epoxie and forget glass bedding - epoxie and glass bedding are different words for the same thing???

LRH member #23
Old 01-17-2007, 09:26 AM
Platinum Member

If your gonna piller bed a gun you should go ahaead and "glass" bed it. Personaly from now on I'm only gonna be using Brownells Steel Bed as my bedding compound./

Glass bedding is a broad rangeing term , the use of defferant compunds to bed with ranging from cheap wal-mart epoxy to hightech titanium mixed epoxys , alot of guys use JB Weld and Marine-Tex with great results.