Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

pic of barnes bullet making

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2005, 01:01 PM
Platinum Member

pic of barnes bullet making

Took this pic awhile back and thought it might interest some of you guys who shoot Barnes.

THis is the steps they undergo to make their x bullet:
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:14 PM
Gold Member

Re: pic of barnes bullet making

Look at the mouth on #6. I bet that would do some dmg! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2005, 09:37 PM
Silver Member

GG,
Barnes has a new bullet in the works called the MR-X which has a polymer tip and a tungsten core in the rear. It was written up (poorly, in my view) by Dave Scoville in the latest issue of Rifle Magazine. It should hit the market early next year, at least in some calibers and weights.
Festus
Old 10-25-2005, 09:52 PM
Gold Member

Very interesting combination. I will look forward to that if the price is right. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2005, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

Reminds me of the samples I got while touring the CCI and Speer plants in Lewiston Id. We were allowed to take whatever we wanted in the way of samples or even loaded .22 ammo (one or two, not a handfull) all they asked was that we don't touch anything and then put it back. I got to see a .22 caliber test barrel that was 6" in diameter. The Ballistics lab was pretty cool as well.

Thanks for the picture. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2005, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

Re: pic of new Barnes bullet

Since Barnes has let the cat out of the bag now finally, I can show you a pic of that bullet. I've had it now for almost a year courtesy of a mystery man (or woman) which explains the tarnishing.

It is a tungsten/tin cylinder core with the triple shock look on the outside. The tip is delrin and black.

They have had the machine to make these for quite some time but have yet to produce them commercially. It must be breaking their bank because the machine cost is in the 10's of millions and they have yet to yield one penny from it so far!

With the intro of this bullet, I might just become a Barnes shooter myself! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Sorry for the blurriness. My camera is farsighted.

Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: pic of new Barnes bullet

OK so what is it supposed to do for us? Something fantastic I hope so we all want them and help pay for the machine. It has to have some fancy catch.