Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Permanent Range Bench

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2004, 07:26 PM
Silver Member

Re: Permanent Range Bench

...concrete is better than wood at isolating vibrations from other shooters, especially the "big guns", but obviously more expensive... seating is another story, wood is easier to endure than concrete...as for the splinters, just lay a nice towel where you need it... hope this helps...
Old 06-26-2004, 11:19 PM

Permanent Range Bench

Hi guys. I just got voted on the board of the local gun club. After spending a day seasoning a gun, I had to have the wife pull splinters out of my elbows. We REALLY need a new bench, so my question is, what size and construction should a permanent range bench should be? I have been kicking around a concrete bench on a slab after I saw a concrete bench on OLN. what I didn't like about the concrete bench was the folding chair [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] got any ideas?
Old 06-27-2004, 08:35 AM

thanks larry o for the info. one of the other problems i had with the wood bench was movement. being a small community, we could get the concrete donated from left over batches. :-) i was thinking that being concrete is so solid, maybe a swing arm type bench would work? i am not just sure how to make it with out an engineering degree. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2004, 12:44 PM
Silver Member

KS - When I made a table a few years ago I used a wrap-around style so either a right or left handed (me) shooter could use it. The local state range has a concrete T style top that has a chair on a pivot arm located under the cross of the T. The chair can swung from side to side for RH or LH shooters. If you are interested I can get some dimensions for you.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:53 AM

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Thanks RBrowning. That is what i am looking for. I have no idea how high a bench and the seat should be. I use sand bags for support and then some people use macnine rest. with just those combinations seat placement will change. Around here, we have seen winds over 90 mph, so a loose chair is either blown away by the wind or some idiot has used it for a target.