Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

??? for PDA program users

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2005, 04:58 PM
Silver Member

??? for PDA program users

I'm looking into the PDA/software solution for rangecards. I've been looking at the info at maker's websites but still have some questions.

Which program has the following options:

Fully capable of metric units (meters, centimeters, Celsius, millibars or hectopascals.

User can determine the size of click adjustments ( as in 1cm@100m)

Calculated trajectory can be checked against reality. "Reality checks", that is live shots and the conditions, can be stored.

Program can store and use multiple Vo/ temperature combinations.

User can determine vital area and program will show range-window the calculated come-up is valid for.

Program has the option of saving/using "BDC comeups". (Example: Ring marked 600m at click 50. Program could show calculation "600+2") Alternatively show MIL comeups.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:38 PM
Platinum Member

Re: ??? for PDA program users

I own 8 ballistic programs and can tell you that they all have some of what you want but I don't know of any that have all that you want.

In my opinion, there is no perfect ballistic program yet. They all have some problems.

ONe problem I will point out that happens in all of them I have experimented with is the fact that when you have your zero set at say 300 yards level, then go to compute a new chart at cosine .94 or whatever, THEY STILL KEEP THE 300 YARD ZERO!! Everyone knows that your zero will be farther out than 300 yards on a steep angle so why do the programs not work like our brains! Yes, yes, Sierra INfinity will recalculate the proper zero but you must go into a different section to do it, it will not automatically do it on the normal drop table.

I use Exbal on my pocket pc and it does ok, but it is by no means perfect.

Just my two $.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.