Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Partitions??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2003, 10:31 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Partitions??

I think you have to look at the game you're going after and the intended design of the bullet to make your decision. I know Nosler does NOT recommend the Ballistic Tips for larger game UNTIL you hit .338 caliber or larger. The BT's simply don't have enough jacket to reliably hold together on heavier game in the smaller calibers. Sure we all know people that use BT's on deer with their .300 mag, but I'd never recommend it. They are probably fine for the smaller whitetails, but not on the larger mule deer or elk. Some people are concerned about "expending all the energy" into the game. For me, the energy expended should be what's required to punch a hole all the way through the animal. This means that the bullet needs to stay together, and not explode on impact.

I've had great success with the partitions in my 7 mag on elk. According to Nosler their new AccuBond is also directed towards use on big game. It basically appears to be a beefed-up BT with a bonded core. I'm going to give it a try this fall in 225 grain in my .338 RUM.

I've tried the 162 grain Hornady's with MISERABLE results. They may be fine punching paper, but don't use them on anything heavier.

Mark in Utah

Old 07-31-2003, 07:43 PM
Silver Member

Re: Partitions??

Just to add a little input about the ballistic tips. I have shot two elk with the 7mm 140gr BT's. One had an impact velocity of 3100fps and the other was 3300fps.

The 3100fps shot impacted just behind the shoulder and exited through the opposite shoulder hitting two ribs and one leg bone. The recovered bullet was approx 2.5 times the diameter and weighed 72.4gr. The elk went down upon impact

The 3300fps shot impacted high and just behind the shoulder, this was a shot quartering to me about 45 degrees so the bullet traversed a lot of elk and hit one rib on the input side. The bullet left a small exit hole but was not recovered. The elk fell in its tracks.

I was planning on taking elk at a little greater distance with slower impact velocities, but wouldn't ya know all this long range stuff and then I just stummbeled upon the darn things right infront of me. These were both high velocity impacts which are more stressfull to bullets, and the ballistic tips held together enough to still get through the elk, yet caused massive destruction to the vital internal organs. So take it or leave it but the meat it in my belly so that is good enough for me.