Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Partion=lack of blood trail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 07:16 PM
Bronze Member

Partion=lack of blood trail

Some hunter y know sai they got no blood trail with nosler partion(either game). Is that happen to you? Not to me. The lack of blood most seem to
come from heart "problème"..... If you got any info or story about it
Old 01-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Partion=lack of blood trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastHunter View Post
Some hunter y know sai they got no blood trail with nosler partion(either game). Is that happen to you? Not to me. The lack of blood most seem to
come from heart "problème"..... If you got any info or story about it
My motto (though it doesn't always happen) is if you put the bullet where it belongs, you don't need a blood trail. I try to hit the shoulder. If I want a blood trail, I shoot an arrow.

That said, I did have a talk with Eric Albus in MT years ago. We were discussing the various bullets and his opinion was that the partition was "too good a bullet.....blows right through and sometimes game runs a ways." He is the first person that I've heard state such.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:39 PM
Bronze Member

100% with you DerekM. Good shoot placement is the key arrow or bullet.
A game can't run away if the bullet "passe throught" the right place.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:57 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

I have opened HUGE holes in certain critters that DO NOT bleed externally. Their fat plugs the holes and you dont get no blood trails, pass throughs or not. Its fact of life. Fat and hair can plug holes and there be no trail. Maybe its just sitka blacktails and elk, but I never seem to get much blood on the ground after wacking one. Lots of blood in the chest cavity though.

Put it in the right spot (like was mentioned B4) and you dont need a trail.

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:45 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meichele View Post
I have opened HUGE holes in certain critters that DO NOT bleed externally. Their fat plugs the holes and you dont get no blood trails, pass throughs or not. Its fact of life. Fat and hair can plug holes and there be no trail. Maybe its just sitka blacktails and elk, but I never seem to get much blood on the ground after wacking one. Lots of blood in the chest cavity though.

Put it in the right spot (like was mentioned B4) and you dont need a trail.
Same here shot a 150# buck this year at 125 yards with a 270 win. pass thru. Saw all four feet go off the ground couldn't find a drop of blood. Finally spomped around the woods for an hour and found him 100 yards away. back tracked some looking for blood but the only blood I found was where he died and was a puddle barely the size of my fist. When I dressed him out the bullet had made pudding of the lungs and taken the top of the heart out. He was fat and with no heart left to pump there was no pressure to push the blood out.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:59 PM
Gold Member

I have never had a problem following a Nosler PT induced blood trail.
I too prefer the high lung shot or shoulder shot so there usually isn't even a tracking job required.

JD338