Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics


Reply

Palma vs Benchrest?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #15  
Old 05-17-2011, 09:20 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,113
Re: Palma vs Benchrest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyboy View Post
Depends. mostly on the individual rifle, and the skill of the shooter.
I related to the standard Palma rifle as defined in NRA High Power Rules: max weight of 6.5 kg (13.5 pounds), minimum trigger pull of 1.5 kg (3.5 pounds) and they've typically got 30 to 32 inch barrels. And in calm/stable atmospheric conditions using any free-recoil shooting system, the skill of the shooter's virtually eliminated.

As far as F class rifles, they are also in this same pool of very accurate rifles shooting equally accurate. NRA High Power Match & Any Rifle, Palma, F Class and Long Range benchrest rifles all will average in the 3/10ths to 4/10ths MOA groups but no worse than 6/10ths MOA at 600 to 1000 yards. Their mean radius will be about where their group average is. But the group sizes shot in each ones discipline are vastly different.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-17-2011, 09:22 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 2,608
Re: Palma vs Benchrest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyboy View Post
Depends. mostly on the individual rifle, and the skill of the shooter.

F-open rifles are shot at palma matches, from the prone position. Are we calling them palma rifles for the sake of this conversation?

Well if we are than I would say yes. I have f-open rifles that show a propensity to hold sub 1/4 MOA under good conditions. With weight limits of 22 lbs. these guns are built similar to br rifles with the major differnce being stock design.
I have to confess that I don't really know enough about either discipline to have an intelligent discussion.

I was of the impression that benchrest rifles were huge, no-taper barrels and large, heavy, stiff actions and that you still wouldn't be comfortable changing the stock and shooting one prone without a rest.

I guess the terminology that caught my attention was ???
Palma = long and whippy
Benchrest = short and stiff

Perhaps it's just semantics... But, does it translate into practical application for hunters?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-17-2011, 09:45 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 2,608
Re: Palma vs Benchrest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
[...]NRA High Power Match & Any Rifle, Palma, F Class and Long Range benchrest rifles all will average in the 3/10ths to 4/10ths MOA groups but no worse than 6/10ths MOA at 600 to 1000 yards[...]
So, how do you reckon that compares to all the .25 MOA factory rifles that I see touted throughout these forums?

...or, are those guys referring to their one or two best 3 shot groups ever?

vs. a custom rifle that will consistently shoot no worse than .6 MOA at long range.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-17-2011, 12:48 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,113
Re: Palma vs Benchrest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
So, how do you reckon that compares to all the .25 MOA factory rifles that I see touted throughout these forums? ...or, are those guys referring to their one or two best 3 shot groups ever? vs. a custom rifle that will consistently shoot no worse than .6 MOA at long range.
The vast majority of rifle shooters tout the smallest group they've shot. Oft times when a rifle's up for sale, the seller sez: "best it's ever done is a bit under 1/4" inch at 100 yards." To which I would reply with a question asking what's the biggest group the rifle's shot. The seller typically responds with: "I don't know.....maybe.....something or whatever...." Then I would say that it sounds to me like your rifle shoots that well maybe 5% of the time; the other 95% is in question and could be as large as a few inches." Then the seller looks dumfounded.

Last edited by Bart B; 05-17-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-17-2011, 01:34 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 2,608
Re: Palma vs Benchrest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
The vast majority of rifle shooters tout the smallest group they've shot. Oft times when a rifle's up for sale, the seller sez: "best it's ever done is a bit under 1/4" inch at 100 yards." To which I would reply with a question asking what's the biiggest group the rifle's shot. The seller typically responds with: "I don't know.....maybe.....something or whatever...." Then I would say that it sounds to me like your rifle shoots that well maybe 5% of the time; the other 95% is in question and could be as large as a few inches." Then the seller looks dumfounded.
and I thought I was cynical...

I see very few moa/sub-moa groups at the public range. Yet they're all shooting the same Savage, Remington, Howa, etc... rifles that get rave reviews here according to mass quantities of anonymous Internet posters. So, I keep asking myself where all those guys practice and why people pay for custom rifles.

I'm glad I called your hand regarding Palma vs Benchrest. You've provided some good info and plenty to think about.

thanks
richard
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-17-2011, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NW MT
Posts: 2,537
Re: Palma vs Benchrest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
Note that those agg's are the average group size. At least a third to half of them are larger. The size of the largest one represents the real accuracy of the rifle and ammo.
That is where I disagree with you, for example the 10 agg, on your logic, shot 2/3 of the time better, than the 1/3. 66 out of 100. more likely to shoot like that. I find with the wind such a factor for those small 6mm that that is suprising, because the wind blows at the matches, Both these guys that have multipl WR shot 300 wsm and had to figure less wind with them.The conditions are a major factor, just like in hunting.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-17-2011, 08:04 PM
Edd Edd is online now
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 870
Re: Palma vs Benchrest?

Group sizes are like MPG's on diesel pickups. You check it on every trip until you get what you want then you stop checking and start quoting it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Palma vs Benchrest?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is Palma? cornchuck Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 5 05-31-2011 10:12 AM
**SPF**308 Palma Lapua Brass blipelt Reloading Equipment and Components 0 04-03-2011 02:27 PM
Has any one tried the 155gr. palma smk learning Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 0 10-09-2009 06:58 PM
WA State Palma/LR Championship 05/15-05/17 milanuk Long Range Competition 0 05-26-2009 01:07 PM
what is a palma contuor? huntinfool18 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 2 06-04-2007 10:05 PM

Current Poll
I currently have hunting preference points in the following states

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC