Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Painting Barrelled Actions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-09-2005, 12:25 AM
Silver Member
Re: Painting Barrelled Actions

I'd rather have a professional finish that won't wear off at the muzzle or wear points, but this one was cheap enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

rost495, Yes, this is a problem with most all painted finishes I have seen. At any points with wear or tight tolorances the finish will most always wear off. The better finishes will not normally come off at the muzzle as I normally find this with the cheaper or quicker applied finishes. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

When the painted finishes are applied from a professional like ironbrigad armory they will put a nice parkerized finish under it so as the painted surface is removed from the wear spots there is still a durable finish protecting the metal. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Thanks for pointing this out as it certainly can make or brake the idea of a painted surface to many. For those wanting to do it yourself, the Duracoat is the best on the market and what many professionals use as this (firearms) is what it was designed for. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Unread 02-09-2005, 06:01 PM
Bronze Member

Yes i use krylon or Napa(same paint),I got a inside a few years ago when a was rebuilding a hk91.HK uses Krylon.Also had great luck with aluminum hyde.Ipaint everything except a brannew gun,normally flat black or gloss flat black,whet to green for a change.And the best thing for 2$ and 1 hour your gun is back to new.I don't believe in anything to pretty,can't get good use of it.
Unread 02-10-2005, 11:20 PM
Bronze Member

Well i put a pic on general cat,I forgot to mention Glyptinol,engine paint,smothes things out and is made for HEAT transfer.