Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Paint removal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 09:40 PM

Paint removal

A few years back i painted my coyote hunting rifle, a 12 savage in .22-250. I painted everything, took it out of the stock ane i painted it all. It works great, and looked good. After a few years of use and abuse i want to strip it all down and give it a fresh look. What can i use to remove the paint but not hurt the blueing on the gun? Thanks for the advise.

PS. i posted a while back about getting a .300 RUM. I found one that is in Great shape. I bought a Remington 700 BDL, 26"pipe. I think with a little trigger work and maybe a new stock this will do everything i hoped it would do. Thanks to all that replied to me prior!

Judd
Old 02-05-2009, 09:37 AM
Silver Member

Re: Paint removal

I have never done it on a rifle, but used to paint my duck guns all the time. Since I did it about every year or so, I just used regular "Krylon" type paint. When I took it off I sprayed it pretty liberally with carburator cleaner and immediately started wiping it off. Never hurt the original blueing but I would try a spot somewhere under the stock and out of sight before diving in. Also I never let it sit on the gun long, especially once the paint started coming off and oiled the crud out of it when done.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:09 AM
Platinum Member

My rem 700 in 17 fireball was completely painted with krylon. Even the scope. I went to Walmart and bought 2 cans of aerosl paint stripper. Then I took it out of the stock and soaked it. Then hit it with a water hose and spray nozzle. Then dried it and did a second coat and hosed it again. That got over 95% of it and what was left in the cracks I removed with a rag and some acetone. Then cleaned and oiled the rifle. Looked like new! This was a newer 700 in the black plastic stock with a satin blued finish. Nothing was damaged and it was pretty easy to do. But you may want to do a test on a spot tha will not show when assembled. And I doubt this would work on a wood clear coat stock.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
Old 02-05-2009, 09:33 PM

THANKS GUYS! I too did the Krylon spray paint job. I appreciate the response. this is on a Savage 12 with the plastic synthetic stock, i too painted the scope....EVERYTHING but the bolt body. I will definately try these tips, with a test spot. Again much appreciated!