Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Pac-Nor POLYGONAL rifling anyone?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2006, 11:10 AM
Silver Member

Pac-Nor POLYGONAL rifling anyone?????

I noticed that Pac-Nor is now offering POLYGONAL rifling: SEE HERE.[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

I know that the Confederates used it in their Whitworth Sniper Rifles and their breach-loading Whitworth cannons, and those "guns" were historically more accurate and out ranged ANY rifle or cannon used during the "War of Northern Aggression." [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I also know that Heckler & Koch has used this design for years with success in their entire line, including the PSG-1 Sniper rifle. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

"Supposedly" it offers less bullet deformation AND less fouling. Does anyone have any experience with this style of rifling, or any opinions to offer????? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2006, 07:01 PM

Re: Pac-Nor POLYGONAL rifling anyone?????

accuracy is great.... i have an hk usp tac and a g36 clone and they are both very accurate....

now this may be just because of the manufacturer and/or the barrel design...

as for cleaning -- 5 minutes...10 minutes if i am tired. the rifling doenst have any lands and grooves in the traditional sense, so the bullet doesnt scrape along any rifling edges. It is just passed through the altered polygonal barrel.

with no scraping, there is no copper fouling. so cleanup is a breeze. Barrel wear is almost nil... i have put about 2k rds through my tac with no loss of accuracy or barrel wear (as seen through the finish condition).

There is a little copper fouling in the 36 though. but not as much as through my other rifles (mauser w/ standard bore rifling). an old g3 i had was the same way. the copper is light and easy to clean up.

hope this helps.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the report! I found THIS ARTICLE on the PSG-1, and they noted:

[ QUOTE ]
the PSG1 was designed to meet specifications that required a minimum barrel life of 10,000 rounds. In point of fact, in-house shooting tests by HK ballistic technicians and engineers have produced PSG1s that have exceeded 20,000 rounds without noticeable degradation in accuracy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like barrel life may be longer with Polygonal rifling vs. conventional lands and grooves as well?!? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2006, 10:24 PM
Silver Member

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, you are supposed to get the same velocity with a shorter barrel vs. conventional barrels. I'm not sure what the correlation is (like a 26" poly vs a 28" regular bbl).

I think one of our moderators has some experience with polygonal rifled barrels, maybe we can get him to chime in? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2006, 11:24 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the report! I found THIS ARTICLE on the PSG-1, and they noted:

[ QUOTE ]
the PSG1 was designed to meet specifications that required a minimum barrel life of 10,000 rounds. In point of fact, in-house shooting tests by HK ballistic technicians and engineers have produced PSG1s that have exceeded 20,000 rounds without noticeable degradation in accuracy.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I read of the HK getting 1/4 MOA shooting a clip full in semi-auto @ 100 meters is when I dumped 3 40Xs and 1 Hart barrelled/Hart Sleeved REM 700 and never looked back.

If they made one in something bigger than an a 7.62 I'd get it!!!
Old 01-06-2006, 05:46 AM
Gold Member

Gary Schneider has been making them for years. Before that McMillan made them.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:00 AM
Gold Member

Hi Guys i have a question about polygonal rifling which i hope some of you will be able to answer.

Firstly the Witworth barrel had a hexagonal bore and shot a tightly fitting hexagonal bullet to achieve its exceptional accuracy.
A conventional cylindrical bullet could be shot using this rifling, as long it was tightly patched to seal the bore but this way accuracy was mediocre.

I understand that polygonal rifling uses the 5 sides of the polygon to spin the bullet, therefore is the bore of the the polygonal rifled barrel smaller then bullet diameter? and does it swage down the bullet to take on the polygonal form in order to seal the barrel?

Alternatively, are the sides of the bore the same diameter as the bullet and pressure bumps up the bullet to seal the bore of the barrel? Thanks.

Ian.