Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Pac-nor barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2006, 09:22 PM

Pac-nor barrel

I ordered a match grade stainless 300 wby. When I asked about how many rifling's their tech. support told me the best, would be 3 land 3 grove?

Opinions on the 3 grove 3 land concept. Isn't the normal Winchester barrel 6?

Thanks in advance
elkhorn
Old 05-02-2006, 11:13 PM
Silver Member

Re: Pac-nor barrel

I have one installed in my 308 Tactical and it's a shooter. Three grove barrel in theory should last longer and foul less when compared to a four or six grove.

Old 05-03-2006, 07:53 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Elkhorn400,

As mentioned, the 3 groove barrels do offer longer barrel life but I would not say you will see much increase in velocity or decrease in bore fouling. If you break the barrel in completely and properly, very few match grade barrels have any fouling problems.

The 3 groove barrels have a well earned reputation for being a bit harder on thin jacketed match bullets. This usually is only seen when dealing with the heavy for caliber VLD or ULD bullets used in fast twist barrels at velocities over 3200 fps.

I have personally tested this in 22, 6mm, 257 and 7mm calibers. These were with 1-7 and 1-8 twist barrels.

In your case, I am pretty sure you are not using either of these twists and I would suspect you are using a 1-10 twist. That twist combined with the velocity potential of the 300 WBY with the heavier hunting and long range weight bullets will not present any problems at all.

You should get the full advantage of the 3 groove barrel and not see any of the issues I have mentioned.

I have fitted several Pac Nor barrels. Most shoot very well. I have had a couple problems with their barrels but they always corrected the problem in a very professional manor. They are not my first few choices for a barrel to be fitted for extreme accuracy but that does not mean they will not perform very well because most will shoot very well.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-05-2006, 03:52 AM
Silver Member

Kirby,
What brands would you recommend for top accuracy?

Thanks [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] .
Old 05-05-2006, 09:21 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

IceSniper,

Lilja barrels are what I use for 98% of all my rifles I build for customer and myself.

That said, I would have no issues using any of the following: Krieger,Hart,Broughton or Rock barrels. All will give excellent results when fitted properly.

I will also say that the Pac Nor Super Match generally shoot very well also but the barrels listed above would be the list I would personally choose from from actual experience and seeing the results first hand.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com