Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

P.O. Ackley and other WildCat Guru's Books?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2004, 07:35 PM

Re: P.O. Ackley and other WildCat Guru\'s Books?

NorthernSniper,

Here is the condensed version of the longer explanation that I had written before a freak storm took out the town's electricity.

Books:

P.O. Ackley's 2 book set is available from Brownells, Midway and E.A. Brown & Co. as well as the already mentioned Sinclair's.

Wildcat Cartridges Vol. I&II from Wolfe Publishing

The Handloaders Manual of Cartridge Conversions by Donnelly (there is a revised version available through Midway).

The Gunsmiths Book of Chamber Prints by Dave Kiff

This thought of 'improving' the 300 Win. Mag. is a little wasteful since the only thing that will change with any significance will be the shoulder angle and it will come at the high cost of a new reamer and more expensive dies. The gain will be very close to nil compared to the original cartridge. Besides, the 300 Win. Mag. has been very accurate and successful in its original form since it was introduced.

The one drawback to the 300 Win. Mag. is the short neck. But that can fixed by taking a look at the wildcat 30-338 Win. Mag. This is merely the .338 Win. Mag. necked down to accept the 30 cal. bullets. It is competition proven for accuracy and efficiency.

Some wildcats to consider:

30 BooBoo (8x68S necked down and improved by Dave Tooley)

30-416 Rigby (have to check bolt diameter for rim size)

300 Jarrett (8mm Rem. Mag. necked down by
Kenny Jarrett)

300 WBY Ackley/300 H&H Ackley

308 Baer (300 WBY/300 H&H, 8mm Rem., 340 WBY)

and about a dozen more that get shot at the 1000 yd. benchrest matches.

Just a couple of observations.

Because of the incredible improvements in barrels, bullets and mostly powders, these cartridges are not now considered overbore. With proper load development, these new powders burn very efficiently.

As much as we all admire the Lapua and Norma brass for consistancy, they are not the end-all of cartridge manufacturing. I wouldn't dream of abandoning a project just because brass wasn't made by either of them. There are a couple of high quality brass extruders in the U.S. that make a wide variety of cartridge brass at reasonable prices. Then there is RWS and Dieter Horneber in Germany. You can't just call them up and expect to get an order in a few days but if you plan ahead, the 6 to 8 week lead time will fly. The quality of their brass is at the very top of manufacturing. A selection of their brass is also available through Huntingtons.

Best.

[ 07-18-2004: Message edited by: Crispin Goodall ]
Old 07-19-2004, 03:06 PM
Silver Member

I have an awful lot of temptation toward the 30-338 but I think the recoil could be a little over the top for me. I am not a brake fan I have had trouble with them affecting accuracy before on a 308 WarBird the brake got erodded and I eventualy ended up with 8" groups. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2004, 04:47 PM

NS,

I'm afraid that you confused me with this statement:

"I have an awful lot of temptation toward the 30-338 but I think the recoil could be a little over the top for me."

The 30-338 Win. Mag. has less capacity than the 300 Win. Mag., 86 gr. to 94 gr. How do you figure that the 30-338 will have more recoil? You've already shot the Warbird with a capacity of roughly 121 gr. of capacity. The 30-338 should be a piece of cake after that...

You don't need a brake with the 30-338 unless you want one. A lot of folks here use brakes on rifles and can account for stellar accuracy. Check the archives for target photos. "WyoWhisper/Ric Horst", Darryl Cassel and Boyd Heaton come mind quickly.

I've used brakes on rifles from .22 up through the .510 with no loss of accuracy. The only difference that I've found with brakes is when you take them off and shoot, the POI shifts so I have to re-tune or make a blank that imparts the same tune as the brake. That's what Wichester did with the BOSS system.

Best.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:40 PM
Silver Member

Sounds to me like you talked yourself into the 30-338 winchester or the 308 norma mag (pretty much the same thing, you experienced gentlemen correct me if I'm wrong). Recoil will be less than the 300WM (though not enough to notice I'm sure). Many people have high regards for the 30-338 and 308 norma, and you have norma brass at your disposal. I'd give it a close look. I personally like the 300 dakota case configuration since it is beltless and has a longer neck than the 300WM. Do any of you know who produces the dakota cases for dakota, and have many people used this round for 1000 br? I see Dakota cases are $140 per 100 pieces.

[ 07-19-2004: Message edited by: shilen30 ]
Old 07-19-2004, 08:22 PM
Silver Member

Whoops! my mistake, I was thinking 30-338 Lapua Mag. I have read a lot so Many good things about the 30-338 Lapua lately I have 30-338 Lapua on the brain! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]