Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Out of the Box: Best Long Range Target Rifle/Caliber/Ammo Combo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 11:51 AM
Silver Member

Re: Out of the Box: Best Long Range Target Rifle/Caliber/Ammo Combo?

Savage Arms was the first to come to mind.

They do some amazing stuff with their factory guns, with good scope and ammo of course. They usually have the highest percentage of straight throats and chambers compared to other manufacturers.

-The flexibility of your adaptability is the true measure of your intelligence-
Old 01-10-2013, 01:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Savage Precision Target Rifle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaGlockGuy View Post
Gary,

Is this listed on their site, or are there any pictures of one floating around? I don't have any info on this one, but wouldn't mind comparing it price/performancewise to the LRP I have in mind.

Thanks again guys!
I kinda gather you order it thru their custom shop. It's a left port right bolt short action single shot rifle with three screw bedding and a large barrel shank. Barrel is about 30" long in a strait contour of about 1" diameter. I've seen one, and Precision Shooting did an artical on it a few years back. They claimed the action alone was over three times stiffer than a typical savage magazine rifle. I gather it's a $1500 rifle, and not a typical varmit rifle. Might be worth the time to call them about it.

Of course you could simply buy the action and build your own with a better McMillen stock. Probably what I'd do.
gary
Old 01-10-2013, 02:19 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoods83 View Post
The model 12 lrp is a precision target action with the bottom cut for a dbm, still has the heavy top on the reciever and target accutrigger, just a small cut for the clip. It sits in a HS pro series, barrel is 26" straight taper to 1". Flutes are coated gloss black, and its all stainless just black coated. My local guy can have them out the door for less than 900. The true single shot rifles are a tid bit sturdier as gary said, and the model Gary is referring to is 12 lrpv.
If he's talking about the 12 LRPV (Left Port), that is a single shot, but the barrel is still 26". That's why I think we're talking about two different animals here. I

I did consider the LRPV as well, but they don't chamber it in the 6.5 Creedmoor I want from the factory.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:46 PM
Platinum Member

Gary is talking about the 12LRPV as was I and you can get it from the custom shop in 6.5 creedmoor with a 30" barrel for about 100$ bucks extra. But there are 2 versions of the LRPV a single and a dual port.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaGlockGuy View Post
If he's talking about the 12 LRPV (Left Port), that is a single shot, but the barrel is still 26". That's why I think we're talking about two different animals here. I

I did consider the LRPV as well, but they don't chamber it in the 6.5 Creedmoor I want from the factory.
The rifle they show on the Savage website is similar, but still different. Theirs has a 26" fluted barrel similar to a regular varmit barrel. The one I saw had a 30" barrel with what looked to be a 1" diameter strait taper. The trigger was extremely light right out of the box (maybe 10oz. to 12oz.). Even the recoil lug looked heavier. The action had a third bedding screw almost directly under the loading ramp. I've seen exactly one and saw photos of another.
gary
Old 01-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Gary is talking about the 12LRPV as was I and you can get it from the custom shop in 6.5 creedmoor with a 30" barrel for about 100$ bucks extra. But there are 2 versions of the LRPV a single and a dual port.
the one I looked over had a left port with a right bolt. I never have seen a dual port, but can readilly see the advantage shooting high powered rounds. Anyway your looking at $1500 for the rifle, and another thousand for a top quality set of optics and mounts. That's fairly cheap for those kind of groups.
How you order a custom shop rifle I don't know, but the guys told me the list of options was a mile long. You almost had to wait in line toget a good look at it! If the proof targets are for real, this is absolutely the most accurate out of the box rifle you can buy.
gary
Old 01-10-2013, 08:48 PM
Bronze Member

Houston, we have LIFTOFF!!!!

THIS

Quote:

PLUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
The one I saw had a 30" barrel with what looked to be a 1" diameter strait taper. The trigger was extremely light right out of the box (maybe 10oz. to 12oz.). Even the recoil lug looked heavier. The action had a third bedding screw almost directly under the loading ramp. I've seen exactly one and saw photos of another.

PLUS

Quote:
the one I looked over had a left port with a right bolt. I never have seen a dual port, but can readilly see the advantage shooting high powered rounds. Anyway your looking at $1500 for the rifle, and another thousand for a top quality set of optics and mounts. That's fairly cheap for those kind of groups.

PLUS

Quote:
You almost had to wait in line to get a good look at it! If the proof targets are for real, this is absolutely the most accurate out of the box rifle you can buy. gary

Is EXACTLY what I’m looking for!!!

You guys are AWESOME!!!!!!

I’ll put a call in to Savage tomorrow and see what their order process is, or if there is some information out there on these rifles.

Again, thanks so much again for all the help here. I really appreciate it!!!!