Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Out of the Box: Best Long Range Target Rifle/Caliber/Ammo Combo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 10:10 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Out of the Box: Best Long Range Target Rifle/Caliber/Ammo Combo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinner View Post
You should take a hard look at the 6.5 Creedmoor for what the OP initially described, super accuracy, great selection of match grade ammunition high quality rifles, low recoil and will out shoot a 308 Winchester in the wind.

Im going to put some rounds down range for the first time from my new stiller tac-30 in 6.5 Creedmoor tomorrow morning ..... From what I have experienced by getting my but kicked in local tatical matches the past few months by guys shooting the Creedmoor I'm hoping for the best....my new rifle has a .5 MOA guarantee with factory ammo so I'm going out to test some of the Hornady 140 A-Max ammo and have 500 pieces of brass along with Berger, Sierra and Hornady 140 grain pills and a bunch of different powders ready to go for testing over the long weekend!!

I wonder what my wife would think if I went shooting on Christmas morning?
It's funny you mention that, because that's actually the caliber I'm leaning towards right now. There were several great suggestions, and what I did was check out some info (6mmbr.com), along with checking out the prices/reviews on the ammo for them.

So far the 6.5 Creedmoor is at the top of the list!
Old 12-22-2012, 10:27 PM
Silver Member

Well got to shoot my new 6.5 Creedmoor today and all i can saw is WOW! Its a great shooting rifle, milld recoil, and the factory ammo shot about 1/2 MOA!! I think you will be well served by this caliber for what you are wanting to do....PM me if you want specifics on my build as I dont want to hijack your thread......
Old 12-22-2012, 10:36 PM
Silver Member

Why not go to the store and get a 338-378 with a vortex scope and be happy you stayed well beneath your price limit.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:32 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelduster View Post
Pretty hard to beat Savage rifles for out of the box accuracy.

6BR is amazing. The accuracy is scary but at 1k it starts to loose its edge. Look at the 6.5x.284 for 1k accuracy you are looking for.
I have both and love my 6br for up to 500 or so yards but the 6.5 x284 is my long range deer and antelope rifle that is good for 1k.
Either one will shoot dime sized groups at 100 yards.

Happy New Year all!

Thanks again for all the help. I really appreciate all the input and experience.

I've been doing some thinking and comparing, and I think I have 2 of the 3 pieces of the puzzle done.

Caliber: I'm giong to go with the 6.5 Creedmoor. Like it Squirrelduster said, either a 6BR or a 6.5 will shoot a dime sized hole at 100 yards, but the 6.5 has the edge at longer distances. I think the other big thing for me is that the box ammo is so much more reasonable with the Creedmoor rounds. Getting some Hornaday Match Ammo is not just reasonable, but will give me the recipe I need for a starting point, along with some good fireformed brass for reloading later on.

Rifle: Savage Model 12 LRP. It's been echoed here many times that, box stock, these rifles are just too hard to beat in the price to accuracy ratio. They are also a good (from my limited experience and research) platform to upgrade later on down the road. It just doesn't seem like these could be a bad choice, especially since it's available in the 6.5 Creedmoor round already.

Glass: Vortex Viper PST Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 6-24x 50mm . This one I'm about 95% sure about, but we'll see with some more reseach. Again, I don't think this is a bad choice, but will do some more looking to see if there is a *better* choice as far as pricepoint and quality are concerned.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:33 PM
Bronze Member

Almost there!

Happy New Year all!

Thanks again for all the help. I really appreciate all the input and experience.

I've been doing some thinking and comparing, and I think I have 2 of the 3 pieces of the puzzle done.

Caliber: I'm giong to go with the 6.5 Creedmoor. Like others have stated, either a 6BR or a 6.5 will shoot a dime sized hole at 100 yards, but the 6.5 has the edge at longer distances. I think the other big thing for me is that the box ammo is so much more reasonable with the Creedmoor rounds. Getting some Hornaday Match Ammo is not just reasonable, but will give me the recipe I need for a starting point, along with some good fireformed brass for reloading later on.

Rifle: Savage Model 12 LRP. It's been echoed here many times that, box stock, these rifles are just too hard to beat in the price to accuracy ratio. They are also a good (from my limited experience and research) platform to upgrade later on down the road. It just doesn't seem like these could be a bad choice, especially since it's available in the 6.5 Creedmoor round already.

Glass: Vortex Viper PST Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 6-24x 50mm . This one I'm about 95% sure about, but we'll see with some more reseach. Again, I don't think this is a bad choice, but will do some more looking to see if there is a *better* choice as far as pricepoint and quality are concerned.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaGlockGuy View Post
Happy New Year all!

Caliber: I'm giong to go with the 6.5 Creedmoor. Like it Squirrelduster said, either a 6BR or a 6.5 will shoot a dime sized hole at 100 yards, but the 6.5 has the edge at longer distances. I think the other big thing for me is that the box ammo is so much more reasonable with the Creedmoor rounds. Getting some Hornaday Match Ammo is not just reasonable, but will give me the recipe I need for a starting point, along with some good fireformed brass for reloading later on.

Is the mod. 12 LRP the same action as the "precision target rifle" that Savage sells? That rifle is a RBLP from the factory with a really nice target trigger and a three screw action. It only comes in a single shot bolt action, and has a very rigid reciever with the large barrel shank (30" with a 1" diameter strait contour).
gary
Old 01-01-2013, 04:52 PM
Bronze Member

Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision (SKU: 19137)

I think we're talking about the same model, but here's a link to the one I'm talking about...

If you go to the "Browse the models" at Savagearms.com

Then click on "Target Rifle Series"

The model I'm talking about is the 12 Long Range Precision (I abbreviated it LRP). It's SKU is: 19137 for the 6.5 Creedmoor calibered model.

It shows a 4 round capacity, and does have the AccuTrigger and the HS Precision fiberglass stock.

This one shows a barrel length of 26", so maybe we're not talking about the same rifle?

MSRP on the one I'm looking at is $1,170 but I'm not sure what I can pick one up for around here or on the net.