Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Out of the Box: Best Long Range Target Rifle/Caliber/Ammo Combo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 11:19 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Out of the Box: Best Long Range Target Rifle/Caliber/Ammo Combo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
This
Savage Arms

+this
Vortex Viper PST Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 6-24x 50mm Side Focus First

with one of these, most any make will do ya
Harris S-BRM Bipod Leg Notch Sling Swivel Stud Mount 6 to 9 Black

and a whole lot of this
HSM Trophy Gold Ammo 6.5mm-284 Norma 140 Grain Berger Hunting VLD

and run with it

EDIT: If you know somebody that lives near you that s a long range shooter, bench rester that handloads you can always hit them up to load for you, then you get custom loads for your rifle at a minimum price
Joe,

Awesome advice, and I appreciate the links!
Old 12-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Platinum Member

1/4 moa is a pretty tough one to meet but it is absolutely doable, whats even tougher is you being able to realize it. With a good rifle and dedication on your part, backed up by handloads with good attention to detail, yup you can do it but your going to get humbled by distance and mostly wind, so your going to need to learn to like the taste of your own pride even when nobody else is around. For me though when you get it all right, and that gong way the hellngone out sends back a ding on the 1st round, it makes all the effort worth it. It gets addicting.

Oh and if your really serious order these books, they are invaluable.
AB for Long Range Shooting
Accuracy & Precision Book
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 12-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Gold Member

.25 MOA is a very high bar. There may be factory rifles here and there that will shoot .25 MOA groups from time to time, but you are very unlikely to acquire a factory rifle that will do that at all, let alone consistently. If you go the custom route, your odds improve, but even a custom rifle will not guarantee that level of accuracy.

That's the first issue. The second issue is shooter ability. Even from a bench, it takes pretty sound shooting fundamentals to get .25 MOA groups even as close as 100 yards.

With a good rifle that has a quality barrel, good handloads, and decent optics, .5 MOA is doable on a consistent basis. You may be able to better that by a little bit. I have two rifles that will. Neither of them will do .25 MOA though.

You don't need to go crazy with your scope just to shoot at the range. You need decent glass, reliably repeatable adjustments, adjustable parallax, and enough scope adjustment to get you to the 1000 yard mark. A 20 MOA base would also be helpful.

If you are not hunting, I see no reason to go with anything larger than a 7mm. In 7mm, I wouldn't go with a case any larger than the .284 Winchester (but I don't know of any factory rifles so chambered).

Something in the 6.5 or 6mm class would be a better bet. 6.5-284, 6.5x55, .260, 6.5 Creedmore, or 6.5x47 Lapua are all good options in a 6.5mm. The best performing 140g match bullets will require a 1:8 twist. I have a couple of rifles with 1:9 twists that handle 140 VLD's just fine, but that is kind a roll of the dice. 1:8 is a safer choice if you want to shoot the 140's.

As for 6mm, there are many options. Most of the popular benchrest rounds are, to my knowledge, not offered in factory rifles. However, the .243 is a very good option in the 6mm class. Just make sure you pay close attention to twist rate. The best 6mm bullets will require a 1:8 or 1:9 twist.

While you are in the research phase of your project, check out the cartridge guides on 6mmbr.com. There is a lot of useful information there.

As you reach out to extended ranges, you will quickly find that wind and mirage will be the biggest enemy of .5 MOA or smaller groups. That is where the science of riflery transforms into an art.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaGlockGuy View Post
Joe,

Awesome advice, and I appreciate the links!
The rifle I was trying to link you to was the Model 12 F class

And yes mirage space that one out. Mirage has been the bane of many a long range shooter.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 12-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Platinum Member

there are a couple guys on here that shoot the F class rifles in competetion, so maybe they'll chime in here. Might also look at the Savage RBLP rifles that are setup for long range target shooting. That would be my rifle of choice without going with a custom action.

You might also want to consider a 6BR with a fast twist barrel. They seem to get velocities of around 2800fps using bullets like the 105 grain Amax. Very, very efficient little round for what it is. Plus it won't beat you up after shooting a hundred rounds thru it in a single setting. Makes one heck of a varmit rig as well
gary
Old 12-19-2012, 01:39 PM

i too like the 243 for bench especially under 600 yds and it is a gun you can shoot all day long but also don't under estimate the value of good bedding job which is cheap and key to consistency. If you think pistol shooting and long range is addictive, just wait until you start reloading
Old 12-19-2012, 02:17 PM
Platinum Member

Remington VLS model in .308 caliber
Federal Target ammo is you dont care to reload..( but you should)
Scope of your preference on a 20 MOA rail