Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Out of the Box: Best Long Range Target Rifle/Caliber/Ammo Combo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 03:02 PM
Silver Member

Re: Out of the Box: Best Long Range Target Rifle/Caliber/Ammo Combo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
Remington M700 VLS model in .308 The laminated wood stock is more than enough strong and stable enough to do what you wish....and if something about it doesnt fit you perfectly...a rasp and sandpaper can bring it right in line.

PREMIUM factory 308 ammo to start and of course you'll be reloading it..??

20 minute rail on top and the scope of your choice ( Ive been leading toward Zeiss models this yer and half of last year...)

And...range time....range time...range time...range time...range time...
I actually have no desire for a .308 & never wanted anything larger than a 6mm.

I have 40 boxes of 22 caliber bullets & 20 boxes of new unfired 22-250 brass.
I do have a Remington & it shoots great! However, I've never owned a custom rifle, either because I was young & poor or I didn't have a place to shoot for many years.
I looked at new Remingtons, but they didn't have what I was looking for, namely the Dual-Port action. Savage has a few other thing that aren't on the Remington.
My new rifle was ordered 3 weeks ago & I should see it in the next 3-5 weeks.
I also never had the desire to shoot factory ammo, even if it's free. The only factory ammo I've ever shot is 22 rimfire & half a box of 44 magnum & a few shotshells when I was a kid. I let friends shoot the rest of the 44 magnum ammo. That damned 44 magnum gave me a case of flinches that took me 2-3 months to get rid of.
If I live long enough, I might decide to have the Savage re-chambered to a 6mm, but I may not live long enough to use up all the components I have for the 22-250.
If you suspect Im recoil sensitive, you're 100% correct.:-)

Thanks for your input, I do appreciate it.

Spencer

Old 05-21-2013, 03:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
call Savage and ask for Effie. She can tell you everything you need to know, plus knows every option.
gary
I've already talked to Effie a couple of times & you're right, she is very knowledgeable. She has had every answer at the top of her mind every time I've talked to her.
Actually, I can't think of any other options I might want.
I already have everything I need except my new Savage. My new Weaver scope came in last week & my new custom Farrel rings & base arrived a few days later. When my rifle arrives I'll glass bed the base, mount the scope, bore sight it & weather permitting, head for the range. In the meantime, I'll shoot my Remington 788 & my 221 Fireball, until it arrives.
I like shooting early in the morning when it's cooler & when the wind is the most calm.

I think I've become addicted to this website. There's no one close to where I live that knows much about guns.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySes23 View Post

I do have a Remington & it shoots great! However, I've never owned a custom rifle, either because I was young & poor or I didn't have a place to shoot for many years.
I looked at new Remingtons, but they didn't have what I was looking for, namely the Dual-Port action. Savage has a few other thing that aren't on the Remington.
I also never had the desire to shoot factory ammo, even if it's free. The only factory ammo I've ever shot is 22 rimfire & half a box of 44 magnum & a few shotshells when I was a kid. I let friends shoot the rest of the 44 magnum ammo. That damned 44 magnum gave me a case of flinches that took me 2-3 months to get rid of.
If I live long enough, I might decide to have the Savage re-chambered to a 6mm, but I may not live long enough to use up all the components I have for the 22-250.

Spencer

My post was a reply to the first...the one by the OP himself
Old 05-22-2013, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySes23 View Post

Spencer
keep in mind that a Savage short action single shot is plenty long enough for a 6mm Remington or a .257AI with the heavier bullets. No mag to deal with, thus allowing you to determin the actual over all length of a loaded round. I think a 25" barrel in a 6BR would be a fantastic rifle. Maybe a 6.5 Creedmore? Or with the 6BR you have the large Mauser bolt face, and this sets you up to later order in something like a 6.5x57AI from an after market barrel maker (nothing but a .257AI necked up to 6.5mm)
gary
Old 05-22-2013, 11:20 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
keep in mind that a Savage short action single shot is plenty long enough for a 6mm Remington or a .257AI with the heavier bullets. No mag to deal with, thus allowing you to determin the actual over all length of a loaded round. I think a 25" barrel in a 6BR would be a fantastic rifle. Maybe a 6.5 Creedmore? Or with the 6BR you have the large Mauser bolt face, and this sets you up to later order in something like a 6.5x57AI from an after market barrel maker (nothing but a .257AI necked up to 6.5mm)
gary
I figger it'll take me 4-5 years to use up all the 22 caliber bullets & brass I have. I also have a lot of 9mm, .44, .45, & .30 cast bullets to shoot. I also have a very nice & expensive FX Cutlas 22 caliber air rifle with a target grade barrel and a very nice adjustable trigger. I have 15 guns to shoot. I have a full load just shooting all of my guns. I really doubt I'll have enough years left to take on another new project. I'd already changed my mind about any improved calibers that essentially eat up barrels. If I do decide on a larger caliber, I won't go larger than a 6mm. I'd then likely send the LRVP back to Savage and have it done by them.
If I had a range 10-15 minutes away, the time frame could change. I'll never have a range with more than 500 yards available either. Keep in mind, I'm just a paper puncher, I never wanted to compete in any shooting events. I prefer to compete only with myself. I've never felt a need or wanted to beat someone in competition. I also enjoy shooting alone with no distractions.
I love this website though and enjoy reading about others experiences & ideas such as yours & many of the other experienced people who visit this website.

Thanks Gary.

Spencer
Old 11-10-2013, 10:42 PM
Bronze Member

I'm Back!

Hi Guys,
Well I took a little break from the project in order to get the rest of the pistol business stuff up and running. I'm just finishing that up, and now I can really focus on this buy/build.

After some more thought, I think I like the idea of going with a 308 for this first (and probably ONLY) LR gun. I feel that's such a solid, versatile round, that it would give me some options down the road. I do like the fact that high quality match ammo is plentiful and relatively cheap compared to some other calibers.

Also while I'm still about 90% sold on the "Out of the Box" concept, I think I would be open to a potential build.

Also in doing some research, one out of the boxer I really like is the Savage 10 BA. I think the weight would be a plus for me since it will be a bench gun, and I like the idea of the adjustability of it as well. I've read some posts in this thread singing the praises of the 10 BA, but would really like to hear some more opinions on it if possible.

Thanks again for all your help and patience guys. As always, it is appreciated!!!
Old 11-10-2013, 11:53 PM
Platinum Member

I still say go find you a Rem 700 5R MilSpec with a 24" barrel, and swap out the trigger for an old style Rem trigger and you will be very happy with the results.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.