Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Optimal Barrel Length

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2006, 03:23 PM
Silver Member

Optimal Barrel Length

Optimal Barrel Length 21.75"

Last night I read the "Houston Warehouse Chronicles" that was posted on this site some time ago.

One bit of information that I found surprising was the recommendation that barrel lengths be exactly 21.75" long (I'm going by memory here, so let me clarify, that is what I remember the figure to be). Basicaly one of the gurus of that era stated that a barrel length of 21.75 has the best frequency for whipping bullets into the same hole each time.

What I don't understand is that there was no mention of barrel diameter, or powder burn rate. It seems to me that both these factors have a lot to do with barrel harmonics.

To put this picture in perspective, I imagine a fishing pole. A long skinny pole will whip back and forth quite a ways. But a short fat pole will not flex nearly as much. But add a thick wall to the long pole and the flex with be reduced.

So my question is, how do they come up with 21.75" magic length as best for all applications.

Thanks in advance,
Vic
Old 03-27-2006, 04:10 PM
Silver Member

Re: Optimal Barrel Length

I caught that too during the read!
The length of 21.75" does not make scence to me either.
Hopefully someone more enlightened can dumb it down for me.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:24 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

I think someone is uneducated and full of crap. 21.? whatever may be perfect for some caliber(s) but no all. Bore diameter, case size, case dimension, case design and I am sure a whole lot more than that will determine what the best bbl length is. He probably reads "rifle shooter" of some other magazine that has no practical experiance...
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:15 PM
daveosok

You must first take into consideration the type and caliber they were shooting and what the subject matter covered.

That length proved to be optimum barrel length for there particular circumstances.

Dont take the 21 inches to mean that a 300 win mag shooting 200 grain pills will best be suited in a 21 inch barrel.

The length of the barrel they choose will not meet the criteria for such cases as the 300 win mag, 7mm stw, Rem ultra series, Allen Mag series or any case capacity greater than say 70 grains of water.

All of the above mentioned cases will need a lot more than 21 inches for opitmum barrel length versus case capacity.

In a conversation with Dan Lilja I had a few years back he stated that for a 95% or better powder burn in a cartridge that had 70 or more grains of powder needed 34 inhces of barrel length. This was covering heavy bullets such as Berger's 180 grain VLD and now 175 SMK.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:09 PM
Silver Member

Maybe best for standard calibers? I dunno the context but it sounds like a generality that holds no weight.
The best truck is a ford....
The best handgun is the 1911a1....
The best beer is Old Frothingslosh...

Maybe the guys spellcheck edited out "for me"

Just my .02

Be kind to your neighbors... shoot quietly..
WWW.Gem-tech.com
WWW.Advanced-Armament.com
Old 03-27-2006, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
To put this picture in perspective, I imagine a fishing pole. A long skinny pole will whip back and forth quite a ways. But a short fat pole will not flex nearly as much. But add a thick wall to the long pole and the flex with be reduced.

[/ QUOTE ]I know there's a popular belief that stiff, rigid barrels shoot more accurate than those that whip or flex a bit more. Fact is, medium weight longer barrels have shot just as accurate as shorter, thicker and stiffer ones. Check out what the best accuracy attained in all centerfire rifle shooting disciplines is then find out what barrel contours were that did so well.

I've heard of this particular barrel length before. Don't rmemeber what it was in, but that number now rings a bell.
Seems it had something to do with the bullet from some "pefect" cartridge would make exactly 1.5 revolutions from a barrel that long.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:59 PM
Bronze Member

"Last night I read the "Houston Warehouse Chronicles" that was posted on this site some time ago."

Read the story so you know the background & context.

Deerkiller