Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Opinions wanted on a new wildcat idea, please offer opinion...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2006, 12:52 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Opinions wanted on a new wildcat idea, please offer opinion...

Roy,

She will fit in a BAT receiver very well, in fact designed for that receiver as it is available, reasonably priced and McMillan inlets for them, most of them anyway.

No need for a BMG receiver, that was one of my design requirements.

Yes, the Iveys would come in handy with this round!!!

Thanks,

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-03-2006, 12:54 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

BJlooper,

I hear you on the recoil issue, the brake will need to be designed to control this recoil to a very managable level in a lighter weight rifle.

This is an issue for sure but one that I think can be easily solved with a properly designed brake.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

BJ,

The Kahn necked up to 50 cal would basically be the 50 Peacekeeper and no it does not have enough horsepower to get to the performance levels I want. Many have said the 50 Peacekeeper will get you a solid 2400 fps with a 750 gr A-Max. In reality the rifles I have seen and the tests I have read about from those that I would trust have said its more like a 2300 fps tops round with upper end loads.

STill potent but well behind what I am looking to get. Also, the Norma cases are soft and will not stand up to high pressures like a 408 CT case will.

You would have to run the 50 Peacekeeper very high in pressure to even get near this class of performance and in any conventional factory receiver I would not recommend this. If you wanted to load to the 2100-2200 fps range I would say this would be one of the better choices but not for what I want to do.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-03-2006, 01:00 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Dave,

Ya its the CT case. I am not going to shorten it though, leave her at its Full Length and go from there.

I also agree, while I feel the Rem 700 can handle the Kahn size case, I do not like loading it to 65,000 psi with this size case in the Rem 700. to be honest, I do not like loading the Norma made cases that hot anyway, they will not last long at all.

The CT will just give me more HP to reach the performance levels I want without straining any receivers.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-03-2006, 01:23 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

JDJones,

Not sure if the shoulder diameter would be sufficent enough with a RUM for high pressure loading. I have seen some test using rounds such as the '06 necked up to a nearly straight walled case and there were issues as far as consistant primer ignition because the shoulders were not supporting the case enough when the firing pin impacted the primer.

I have thought about a 475 on the RUM case and that should work fine but I think the 50 cal is a bit much.

IT certainly would be a thumper though!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-03-2006, 01:23 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Yes it should he K legal.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-03-2006, 05:09 PM
Platinum Member

yea your right I never realy gave the shoulder that much thought , man it looks like we have finaly discovered a reason for the belted cases!!

me and soe buddies were discussing a truely quiet semi long range (500yds) anti personal weapon and were toyed with the thought of driving a 750-900gr bullet at 1000fps though a supressornot total sure what the trajectory would be like but it would have to be better than the sub sonic 308 stuff.

See what playing with H&K MP-5SD's does for ya [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]