Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Opinions wanted on a new wildcat idea, please offer opinion...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2006, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Opinions wanted on a new wildcat idea, please offer opinion...

I gave the same type thought to a 50 cal made on the RUM brass that would be cut down so the whole loaded round would feed from a Rem Long action. I figured that at around 90grs of powder that if the pressure was raised that one could get a modest velocity I was thinking around 2200fps and with such a great bore to powder volume ratio that maybe some of the faster powders could be used.
Hell a 750gr bullet launched at even 2000fps would produce more energy than any 7mm-33 cal in a conventional action.

Sounds like a hell of an idea Kirby but would it be legal in "Kalifornia"
Old 06-02-2006, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a hell of an idea Kirby but would it be legal in "Kalifornia"

[/ QUOTE ]

Who cares about Kalifornia [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] They're all moving to Idaho anyway.

BTW, this would be a near perfect cartridge for a wild steer that was runnin' the swamps over by Luling. Got to see him once in a while but was never able to pen or catch him.

Would have to shoot through a couple or more trees to get him but the frustration was high enough and with a cartridge like that I'm pretty sure the rancher would have tried.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:45 PM
SPONSOR

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, this would be a near perfect cartridge for a wild steer that was runnin' the swamps over by Luling. Got to see him once in a while but was never able to pen or catch him.

[/ QUOTE ]

That 270 AM you've got on order is a proven steer killer!!!
Old 06-02-2006, 08:52 PM
Platinum Member

And Oregon...
Old 06-02-2006, 09:01 PM
SPONSOR

There's not much good I can say about OK, but at least we don't have an influx of liberal pansies!!
Old 06-03-2006, 12:44 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Sewwhat89,

With the 50 BMG, there is a little trick you can use to get +95% load density with a muzzle velocity of around 2500 fps for good velocity consistancy. THe trick is simply to use slower burning powder then is needed. Alot of guys use VV 20N29 and still get good load densities and very good consistancies but carbon fouling is a major issue. This is where I feel this new design would be a better choice, longer shot strings with less cleaning.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 06-03-2006, 12:50 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Jerry Teo,

The Gibbs is not really an option as it will not handle the pressure I will be loading to. Obviously the Chey Tac is what I am looking at for the parent case because of its ablity to use high pressures.

Lazz brass is to spendy, not great quality in some lots and really not large enough for what I want to do. This new round will have a much larger shoulder then would anything on a Lazz case for much more positive headspacing at high pressures.

I do not feel this round will be direct competition to the 338 caliber rounds. Will not even compare ballistically. The crowd I am looking at for this chambering are those that want to get into 50 cal match shooting but just can not bring themselves to pay $5000-$6000 for a match grade 50 BMG rifle. I suspect I could build a heavy bench rifle in this chambering for around $3500 depending on options wanted. Same match performance, $1500 less in the rifle.

Not only that, no special presses would be needed to load for this round.

As far as the 416 Barrett goes, good idea but not needed. By that I mean, you do not need to shorten a BMG case or even use a BMG case to get the performance that they are getting in the 416 Barrett. Much more efficent options out there that will match this round in performance, we are working on those as we speak as well [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!!

Thanks for your thoughts, very good ones!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com