Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Opinions on Savage 111 Long Range Hunter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 09:22 PM

Re: Opinions on Savage 111 Long Range Hunter

I was the guy having some grouping problems w/ the LRH .308 last spring. I'm not a a hand loader but did eventually find the Hornady Superformance Match 168 grain Amax to group very well in this rifle. I set up my long Range Hunter w/ a Bushnell 4200 and this combo was consistently very effective for whitetail deer doe management. My muzzle break is frozen open and I have no plans to rectify the situation.
For the coyote season we are using the Savage model 12 in 22-250. I did purchase & install the same Karsten cheek piece used by Savage on the LRH on this 22-250. Using the Hornady 55grain Vmax this rifle groups very well with a relatively inexpensive 8.5-25x 50 Mueller scope.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:41 PM

Hey fellas, new to this forum, I just bought the 111 in the 338 lapua, fit and finish is superb, not really heavy for a big magnum. I bought one on a recommendation from a buddy who has the 110 and this rifle both in this caliber. He said it shoots as accurate as a custom rifle at 1/3 the cost. Time will tell I guess. Taking it to AK moose and Bear hunting this fall. I liked that I could carry 5 rounds in the mag and have a back up ready if need be.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

Unless you are very physically fit and a young buck, you'll quickly dislike the weight as much as you like the accuracy.

I do like my 111LRH but as a 'in one place' firearm and not trekking about and you'll quickly find that the long barrel is a tree branch snagger. In heavy forested hunts, you'll develop the 'hunch back' stance from walking bent over.... Been there, done that.

I'm a creeper for the most part and the 111 limits that because of the weight and the physical size. I find it cumbersome, like carrying a ball bat in front of you, walking through tree branches.

It is just fine to sit quietly with and wait and it excels at that as well as a great blind gun.

...... Why I also purchased a 111 lightweight Savage Hunter in 308WSM. That will be my carry about firearm at half the heft of the 111LRH. 7 versus almost 14 is a lot of granola bars or bottled water or other 'necessary' items.....

Besides, I'm an old fart.

I really enjoy shooting mine. It has a very unique report and the recoil is very light, partially attributable to the weight of the firearm as well as the brake. The 111LRH inspires confidence in the fact that no matter what you aim at, it's going to kill it, at least in North America.

What originally got me tuned in to a 338 Lapua Magnum was Ted Nugent's cousin Rick. He has one and let my fondle it. I was immediately hooked.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowder View Post
I was the guy having some grouping problems w/ the LRH .308 last spring. I'm not a a hand loader but did eventually find the Hornady Superformance Match 168 grain Amax to group very well in this rifle. I set up my long Range Hunter w/ a Bushnell 4200 and this combo was consistently very effective for whitetail deer doe management. My muzzle break is frozen open and I have no plans to rectify the situation.
For the coyote season we are using the Savage model 12 in 22-250. I did purchase & install the same Karsten cheek piece used by Savage on the LRH on this 22-250. Using the Hornady 55grain Vmax this rifle groups very well with a relatively inexpensive 8.5-25x 50 Mueller scope.
Interestingly, I was at odds with either the HS stock or the snot stock with the Karsten.... I chose the Karsten as well. Rick has the HS on his. I feel the Karsten, while not only less expensive, allows more of an adjustment for cheek weld and overall shooting alignment, very crucial with a high power scope and limited eye relief. No point in getting a black eye....IMO.

I just set the cheek where it's most comfortable and aligns my eye with the ocular and then I put a witness mark on the cheek rest on the clamp nut side. That way, if I pull the bolt (I have to drop the cheek to fully rxtract the bolt), realignment is as easy as aligning the witness marks.

Mine came with a fixed brake not that I'd fire it with the brake closed. I don't usually carry Ben-Gay with me...... EGW provides the CNC machined brake and the scope rail BTW.

I believe the favorite feature is the Accutrigger. Mine pulls at a consistent 3 pounds, has very little pre-travel and no creep. It's more finger reflex, like second thought and bang. This is probably the first large caliber rifle that I have no qualms about prior to ignition. It's an extension of my trigger finger.

I did have to pull the action and barrel and remove a tiny bit of the forend with some sandpaper and an appropriate diameter dowel rod. My 'freefloating' was a little too close, as in rip a dollar bill.

Now, if the ammunition was reasonably priced...........
Old 04-13-2012, 10:15 AM

I sure hope it shoots straight, all the 338 lrh's I have seen shoot drive tacks. I think for what it is it is not that heavy. My Weatherby is 11 lbs anyway. This one shoots a might further
Old 04-13-2012, 03:46 PM
Bronze Member

I bought one not to long ago. 6.5 x 284. It shot the Norma ammo alright. I have dialed in a handload that shot a 3 shot group under half moa(close to. 4). Berger 140 VLD. I was between a Sendero and this. Cost was the deciding factor.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:06 PM

I have a 338 Lapua mag great groups but hornady factory ammo sticks had chamber polished by savage hornady still sticks lapua brass doesnt.