Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Opinions on Savage 111 Long Range Hunter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 04:03 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Opinions on Savage 111 Long Range Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfvickers View Post
I keep it in place and closed to keep the barrel at 26 inches instead of 24.5. and it does effectively increase the barrel length when turned off with results you can see on your chrony.
Very helpful. Yes, I agree... my guns are for use, not sitting in a cabinet. I do take care of them, but they aren't babied.

One last question, how do you find the balance of the LHR?
Old 04-25-2011, 04:28 PM
Silver Member

It's well balanced but I would have issues shooting very far off hand. But I cannot shoot any bolt action much over 100 yards off hand. I think the balance is better than my model 700 LSS 300 win mag. Not as good as the Husqvarna crown grade I have.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:50 AM
Silver Member

cfvickers,

What difference in velocity do you notice with the brake closed? I have go give Savage an "A" for effort an innovation, trying to bring certain things to market to please the masses. I got one in 7mm Mag, but haven't shot it yet--hoping to do so this weekend. I was trying to sell it at one point, because I didn't need it, and had to buy a new car. But since buying the new car, I've just upped the amount of Ramen noodels in my diet, to offset the financial burden of the car and the gun ;)

One problem I had with the gun was that the soft touch 'overmold' peeled rather easily. I tried to just peel and sand it all off, but that turned into a mini disaster. So I finally just called Savage and asked for a replacement stock--they sent one out, which should be here tomorrow, and we'll see how it shoots this weekend with some 168gr Bergers.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:22 AM
Silver Member

I see 30-70 fps difference depending on the load. There is one load where I see no difference, but I am not sure why. Every other the brake causes a slight decrease.
I have seen where some said that it caused about an inch movement in the POI but I have not noticed more than about 1/4-1/2.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:44 PM
Platinum Member

...and the LRH comes with a 20 MOA Picatinny mount standard. That's worth an additional 100 bucks anytime.... (the .338 does at least).

Mine (in .338 Lapua) is a PITA to carry in the woods. I'm tall and the barrel sticks up like a hardon on a teenage kid on his first date....

I have a Leupold Mk4 4.5x20x50 TMR in Warne mounts and it took exactly 6 rounds to sight it in at 100 yards and it's good for me (kills cleanly at least) at 250 yards. I suspect it will handle 1000 plus. Question is if I can handle 1000 plus.

I have no problem offhand shooting it, however, a tree or convient branch is always nice. It's not a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun......

I had consternation about the Karsten Cheek over the HS stock but the Karsten is just fine for me. I've marked my 'spot' on it and my son marked his so either of us can reset it and shoot just fine..... It's already heavy enough with a tactical scope, let alone a solid aluminum stock over a snot stock.

If you carry it any distance, plan on leaving some granola bars behind. It's pretty stout.

I've pulled a lot of triggers on factory guns and reworked guns (and pistols) and the Accutrigger is the best OEM trigger I've ever had a digit on. Mine has no creep, no sideplay and pulls cleanly at 3 pounds from the factory.

The brake on the .338 is not adjustable. It's fixed in the open position, which is fine with me (not a fan of non-chlorinated brake cleaner anyway)...... I suspect a non brake .338 is a shoulder buster..... At my age, dependency on Ben-Gay isn't a good thing.....

Guess we don't have to worry about a peeling stock finish.......

Finally because the brake expells gases to the side, don't bench the gun with bystanders around. I found out the hard way.....

I look at a gun as a tool, like a hammer or a screwdriver so fancy guns aren't me. The LRH is a tool. Sort of a 3/4" drive in a 1/2" drive world.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:58 AM
Platinum Member

I have owned a LRH in 6.5x284 for about a year. I get 2975 fps out of it with the brake on and can keep 5 shots in 1.5" at 500 yards with 140 Berger Hunting VLD's. I get virtually no change in POI between cold bore and warm bore shots. It didn't take much effort to get it shooting. The weight is just right for me and I really like the adjustable cheekpiece. On the negative side, I don't like the rubbery feel of the crappy plastic stock and the brake freezes up no matter what I do to avoid it. Just left it open and forgot about it. I did have to take some sandpaper to the stock at the forearm tip to fully float the barrel. I won this rifle at a match. My primary hunting rig is a Cooper 52. Performance wise, the Savage doesn't give up much if anything to the Cooper so far. Fit, finish, and overall workmanship, no contest. For short money though, the LRH is probably one of the better performing hunting rigs out there.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 12-24-2011, 11:42 AM
Platinum Member

Greyfox...

I have prettier guns like the Ruger 300 Weatherby Magnum but from a 'tool' standpoint, it's hard to fault the Savage. It appears to me that Savage is committed to building an accurate out of the box firearm with no frills for a reasonable price.

I called Savage about the brake. Savage lists the brake as adjustable on the 338 which it isn't, or at least it's adjustability is taking it off or leaving it on.......

I've paid appreciably more for pistols than the LRH. Wilson Combat comes to mind....