Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Opinions on Cleaning Barrels and Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2007, 12:55 PM
Bronze Member

Opinions on Cleaning Barrels and Hunting

I know a lot of you do not like to store a completely dry barrel. I talk to a lot of people that like to run a lightly coated patch down the barrel before they put it up for a little while and I like to do the same.

What do you do when you get done at the range and plan on going hunting? Do you clean it and leave a dry bore so that your first round is spot on? Or do you still coat the bore lightly?

Most of my guns are not shot off the bench and first round hits are a must for me. Anytime I shoot a lightly coated bore I am off enough that it bothers me some.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:05 PM
Platinum Member

I always run oil down my barrel when it is going to be stored for awhile. But I never put so much in it that it would run down into the action. Just a little goes along way to keeping moisture out.

When I'm going hunting, I do not clean my barrel. If it is clean and oiled, I go check my zero at the range a few days before my hunt and shoot the oil out.

ALWAYS HUNT WITH A FOULED BARREL!

I normally will let a dry barrel sit in the safe for no more than a week without oil.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:56 PM
Bronze Member

I leave the barrel oiled to combat moisture.

Moments before I walk out for the hunt I run a bore snake through it a couple of times to remove the oil and ensure it is free from obstruction.

Don't know if it is correct or not but works for me.