Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Opinions of the Choate varmint stock?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2005, 12:03 PM
Bronze Member

Opinions of the Choate varmint stock?

I've decided to replace the plastic stock on my Savage .308 and I was looking at the Choate Varmint stock and wondered what your thoughts on them are. Seems like it offers quite a lot for the money. A McMillen is out of my range. Also looked at the Sharp Shooter Supply varmint/tactical stocks. Rifle will primarily be used for 100-500 yard target shooting and the occasional woodchuck [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Thoughts?
Old 01-13-2005, 03:44 PM

Re: Opinions of the Choate varmint stock?

Duff,
I grew up in Bald Knob, AR (location of Choate Machine and Tool Co.) and have a family friend that has worked for Choate for over 20 years. He was one of the "testers" of the Varmint and Sniper stocks. He let me shoot each and I really liked them. They are a little on the heavy side, but for target and chuck shooting, that would not matter to me. I haven't owned either, but enjoyed the features and the Choate people are good to do business with.

Philip
Old 01-13-2005, 05:01 PM
Bronze Member

I replaced my original stock on my 300 RUM sendero with the ultimate sniper stock. very sturdy/rugged stock. I wanted a heavy shooter for the bench, etc. stock is hollow in areas so I was able to epoxy lead in. one thing I am not crazy about the stock is the grip. it came very rough...sanded it down. it is also thick. but all in all and considering what I had to do with it, I really like the stock. and at around $170 I don't feel guilty about doing any tinkering. it is not as nice as a mcmillan but those stocks were too expensive for me to get into.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:47 PM

I had a Choate Varmint stock and diden't realy care for it as it was very heavy and like was mentioned before the grip was pretty thick.
Kevin Rayhill makes the stocks for Sharp Shooters Supply , his stocks are great , alot lighter and they still have the aluminum bedding block