Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

old gun still fouling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 02:52 PM
Silver Member

old gun still fouling

I have a ruger .270, SS barrel. The gun is almost 20 years old. Maybe 250-300 rounds shot. The gun has never shot better than 2" groups@100. Sent gun out to be accurized. After 1 shot copper is visible between a couple lands. Any suggestions how to stop the fouling?
Old 04-14-2013, 03:39 PM
Platinum Member

Re: old gun still fouling

Quote:
Originally Posted by upacreek View Post
I have a ruger .270, SS barrel. The gun is almost 20 years old. Maybe 250-300 rounds shot. The gun has never shot better than 2" groups@100. Sent gun out to be accurized. After 1 shot copper is visible between a couple lands. Any suggestions how to stop the fouling?
You might try firing some "bore grinders" down it. I haven't used them personally, but have heard they can work. It may not be the fouling that is the accuracy problem. Rugers are famous for poor bedding. I would check the barrel/fore end clearance as first priority........Rich
Old 04-14-2013, 04:08 PM
Silver Member

Several bore cleaners have been used and the smith stricktly advised no more abrasive cleaners. He is out for the weekend and after 1 shot I don't want to proceed without knowing how to deal with the copper fouling. All I know to do is clean the copper then shoot once and reclean like a new barrel break in. Does anyone have any other suggestions or advise?
Old 04-14-2013, 04:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upacreek View Post
After 1 shot copper is visible between a couple lands. Any suggestions how to stop the fouling?
I doubt that copper "between a couple lands" is an issue after one shot. I would be more concerned with copper on top the lands (rifling). Especially if it is on one or two lands in particular. Also know if you are seeing this at the muzzle end , looking in with a light this could be normal in that area.

What bullets are you shooting in it?

What copper cleaners have you used?

Jeff
Old 04-14-2013, 10:40 PM
Silver Member

Bullets are hornady. Cleaners have been amonia based. I can't remember which one. The gun was shelved due to poor performance. Now time to give it another chance. Should I ignore the copper I can see and just shoot it? Or something more elaborate?
Old 04-14-2013, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

Well, I will take a stab at a suggestion. Lets say this is a rough moly barrel from the factory that had little or no break in when new. And lets say it has had several different bullets fired through it with different alloy jackets over the years in an attempt to find a load. This rifle could be severely copper fouled. If it were mine I would buy a bottle of BoreTech CU+2 and a bottle of C4 and start a very lengthy cleaning session to remove all copper in an attempt to start again. And I would use no other cleaners, BoreTech only.

If that didn't work I would rebarrel it.

Jeff
Old 04-14-2013, 11:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Well, I will take a stab at a suggestion. Lets say this is a rough moly barrel from the factory that had little or no break in when new. And lets say it has had several different bullets fired through it with different alloy jackets over the years in an attempt to find a load. This rifle could be severely copper fouled. If it were mine I would buy a bottle of BoreTech CU+2 and a bottle of C4 and start a very lengthy cleaning session to remove all copper in an attempt to start again. And I would use no other cleaners, BoreTech only.

If that didn't work I would rebarrel it.

Jeff
+100 Boretech is the only way to go IMO

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755