Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Ok, Humor me here.... 30-30 for a saddle gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member

Ok, Humor me here.... 30-30 for a saddle gun

I am looking for a everyday beat around carry rifle to keep in a scabbard on my saddle. This rifle will be used for preditor hunting most of all, so lets say wolves and coyotes. Don't care about the damage to hides, just want em dead. My first thought was to look for a Browning BLR in 243. But I do have a pre 64 mod 94 in 30-30 in tha back of the safe. It is pretty much beyond collector status as it has been drilled and tapped, stock shortened ect. But it is in good working order and has a Lyman flip up tang peep on it. I have never fired this rifle, I have always hated the 30-30. But maybe it would work for what I want?

So you guys that own and shoot the 30-30, how far are they affective as far as accuracy?

What weight bullet to stretch it out there?

Using the open sight for closer and the tang peep for longer shots what do you think I could accuratly get out to?

I ain't to keen on this, but I have it so I am keeping an open mind here.

Jeff
Old 03-26-2012, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Ok, Humor me here.... 30-30 for a saddle gun

When I was a kid it was a Win 25-35 then moved up to a Win 30-30. If the barn door was half open I could not hit it. Would never go back there.

I don't spend as much time horseback as I used to but it is and was the carry rifle that went into the scabbard. I can understand you not being keen on it!

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 03-26-2012, 10:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcebcj View Post
When I was a kid it was a Win 25-35 then moved up to a Win 30-30. If the barn door was half open I could not hit it. Would never go back there.

I don't spend as much time horseback as I used to but it is and was the carry rifle that went into the scabbard. I can understand you not being keen on it!
LOL, we are definatly on the same page. BUt to be fair I probably should shoot a group at 100 and see.

Jeff
Old 03-26-2012, 10:41 AM
Platinum Member

How can you not love an ol' cowboy gun Broz?
I have shot many from Win to Marlin. All of them sucked.
However when Hornady came out with the Lever revolution ammo, I figured I'd try it for a backup bear rifle in the brush. To my suprise, that ol Winnie absolutely loved those 160 gr flex tip bullets! I never shot it from a rest, cause, well its a 30-30, come on. But I will say that my groups landed me well inside the kill zone way past its "effective range" for Deer/Bear. Off hand, or using a tree branch for a rest (not exactly scientific, cold hard accuracy data) but I'd say my old 94AE would be more than accurate enough for a wolf to 400 ish +/-. I shot rocks that far just to see if I could. Off hand went more like a battleship as far as bracketing my target to figure out my hold with open sights. But once dialed it was easily repeatable.
I'm guessing that with the right bullet, & the addition of optics (with is a sin by the way, to scope a cowboy you could stretch it out there quite a ways with accuracy.

P.S. did anyone mention to you that Berger doesn't make a flex tip? I never woulda thought you'd give a 30-30 a second glance, just because of that.
Oh, wait you'll probably single sled the Bergers anyway
Good luck bud.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 03-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Platinum Member

My youngest brother shoots a couple 30-30's and the flex tip bullets out of his marlin are quite good, he stuck a burris ballistic plex on it and he's minute of wolf easy out to 500 yards and those flex tips do a good job on deer so a woof should not like them, and you can go Gun Smoke on it and just lever that baby . He has an old winy that every generation of my family has tried to get to shoot but you fankly couldn't shoot your way out of a paper bag with it but it does look right in a saddle scabbard, horses and lever actions are just right!!
Old 03-26-2012, 11:06 AM
Gold Member

I'd suggest you consider a Winchester 88, a Savage 99, or Browning 81 BLR in 243Win. Those lever actions use stack magazines and can shoot spitzer bullets with considerably higher velocity and less wind deflection than a 30-30. Arguably more suitable for coyotes than a 30-30.
Winchester 88
Savage 99
Browning 81
Old 03-26-2012, 11:11 AM
Silver Member

Try the Hornady lever revolution ammo in that old lever gun. Makes them shoot a lot more accurately and a lot flatter trajectory.