Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

OK Evaluate these..Be honest good or bad..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2004, 06:36 AM

Re: OK Evaluate these..Be honest good or bad..

Ric
Just to clear things for me - the 750 yd group was your first 3 shots [no sighters?].
That is - you read the conditions and then fired 3 shots?
If that is the case I am very IMPRESSED compared to a 3 shot group which could be buried amongst any 3 of sighters and other groups. I would appreciate an answer on this.
Old 02-27-2004, 08:35 AM
Platinum Member

Ric--if those were my first three shots from a dirty bore at 750, I'd have done something in my pants---1-1/4" [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] worksfor me [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

How did thefirst group go? first three?

BTW--i agree vertical looks very good on you 895 group--hard not to shoot a weather report in those conditions.

JB

[ 02-27-2004: Message edited by: jb1000br ]
Old 02-27-2004, 08:36 AM
Platinum Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Boyd, knowing the particulars of your .187 group, thats some nice shooting! Did you ever find a reason why they would go to heck at 1000 yards?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Barrel heat was the leading cause of it I think.The gun would put the first five or six shots into 4 or 5 inch's at 1000 yards.Then it would open up.When the gun was rechambered to a 300wsm.Burning 22gr less powder.Things got better.It has since shot in the 6's
Old 02-27-2004, 09:55 PM
Gold Member

You get serious about the Sniper Comp's I'll shoot with you anyday, buddy!
Old 02-27-2004, 11:40 PM
Silver Member

good shooting-dave
Old 02-28-2004, 12:14 AM
*WyoWhisper*

APB,

The Mike Rock barrel is pretty awesome! I shot 35 rounds through it the other day .. it took 3 wet patches, 10 stokes with a brush, 2 wet patches and then 3 dry to clean it!

Ok the 3 shot group went like this... went to my "bunker" (thats what the wife calls it..) picked up the rifle and 3 rounds.. went to my prone area laid down.. looked at conditions checked the atrag for validation of my guess... I was off by a little...

I knew from the other day that I needed more MOA with the formed tips... I had tried 26 MOA the other day and remembered that is was still a little low... dialed in to 27 and shorted the wind reading.. but I fired the 1st round and it looked right but pretty good so I fired 2 more.

I feel pretty good about my reading conditons and I have been precticing as much as I can.. so thank you! for the compliments!

I guess I am fortunate to be able to "go out back" and shoot to unlimited distances if I choose.. I just wish I had a shooting buddy as I would like to compete in various sniper comps in the future...
Old 02-28-2004, 12:30 AM
Silver Member

Wyo,

I am in Green River. Cloudy and supposed to snow again tonight and tomorrow. And I was going to try out the new muzzle brake too!!! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] Maybe Sunday I guess.