Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

OK Evaluate these..Be honest good or bad..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2004, 07:52 PM
Platinum Member

Re: OK Evaluate these..Be honest good or bad..

The three shots you are showing on the first target is a VERY GOOD three shot group..The second target has me puzzeled.Why six shots instead of 5 or 10???But the 6 are a decent group at that range.875 yards right?Sorry I see now 895 .

[ 02-26-2004: Message edited by: Boyd Heaton ]
Old 02-26-2004, 09:11 PM

Hi Ric
I would be extremely happy to have shot these groups especially the 750 yd one.
I have not seen a factory rifle capable of that level of accuracy in 35 years of shooting. That Rock barrel is a shooter.
Are they easier to clean than others because of the 5R?
Old 02-26-2004, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Ric, Those are pretty handsome groups! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Ive got a 308 that shoots an awfull lot like yours. Aint life grand?! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

With the 178 Amax and RL-15 I get 2-3" at 800 often.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member

Very nice groups Ric!

I see about 3" of vertical in the 6 shot group at 895, that's very respectable from any bipod shootin in my book!

She sho is capable! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-26-2004, 10:42 PM
Silver Member

Those look awesome to me. Seriously, I would be very proud to shoot like that from anything I own at this point.

I cant beleive you guys dont have more snow than that!! We have had 1-2 ft on the ground it seams like since before Christmas and snow permanantly on the ground since the first snow on halloween. Not been a good winter for practicing shooting I will tell ya that much. Snowing and frozen rain falling as i type right now. New finish on the stock drying as I type though [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] So not all time is wasted!!
Old 02-26-2004, 10:43 PM
Bronze Member

Aw come on now Rick. Here we go to bat for ya and you post some cheesey groups like that! Tell ya what, box that rifle up and ship it to me. I'll destroy it for you so you can get a real rifle [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Nice groups, but I do like your scenery better.

Boyd, knowing the particulars of your .187 group, thats some nice shooting! Did you ever find a reason why they would go to heck at 1000 yards?
Old 02-27-2004, 05:52 AM
*WyoWhisper*

Boyd,

To be completly Honest.. the 6 shot group went like this...

I shot the 3 shot grop and new I "hit" the target 18" wide and I new I was low but I didn't know by how much.. I could see the dirt being kicked up as I shot...

I then drove out to the target and saw how far I missread conditons DOH!!!!

I put up another target... and then went back to the rifle.. on my way back another micro-burst came through.. and the conditons changed completely!! again DOH!!

I made adjustments and then fired 1 shot.. from the looks of everythign I was right on target.. I then loaded the mag and fired 5 more... 6 shots total..

I went from 1 minute of wind on the first group ( missread ) to almost 4 minutes on the second group but get this, the first group I had a left to right wind and the second I had a right to left wind... now that is shooting through conditions!
These groups we shot within 5 - 10 min of each other.

sako7stw.. where you at??