Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Oehler Chronographs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2005, 09:14 PM
Silver Member

Re: Oehler Chronographs

Do you guys think it is worth the data collected to go ahead and spend 1800 on the Model 43 Personal Ballistic Laboratory system that includes everything. Or would that be overkill for what I am wanting. I started another post on the RSI system that is somewhat similar to this system. But the RSI system includes the ballistics program and it is only about 476 for the entire package which has the chronograph, pressure software, and ballistics software.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member

I have never used the RSI, but it is probably a good unit by the way it sounds. The Model 43 has acoustic targets that "hear" the bullets as they pass through and it plots the group on the laptop screen so you don't even have to look through a spotter to see your group. This also allows you to calculate your own bc's on your bullets from your gun at your atmosphere.

All in all, the 43 is too much overkill for most reloaders, but if you have the dough, it could be spent on worse things!
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:10 PM
Silver Member

Well, I don't shoot enough to justify the 43, barely enough for the 35P. But, it was a smart investment, I'm very happy with it.

I sent my machine back once, turned out that I had borrowed a non alkaline 9V battery from someone at the range, made me feel a little stupid.

The Oehler sometimes has problems with magnums not registering the proof channel. Shinny Nosler bullets fail to be picked up occasionally, depending on the sky condition.

Not complaining, but the instrument is not 100% perfect. It's good enough, though. Worth the money. (get the four foot pipe)

Good hunting. LB
Old 04-17-2005, 04:20 AM
Gold Member

While you very rarely see these things on sale ,you can save a few bucks on one here:
http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?conte...FTOKEN=18332145
Old 04-18-2005, 10:45 AM
Silver Member

<font color="purple"> Far more important than absolute vel are the delta's ( SD &amp; ES ) The absolute value accuracy is irrelevant until you've established the delta accuracy. You can even argue absolute velocity is totally irrelevant to load development </font>
[ QUOTE ]
disapointed in the Oehler but have something you can rely on for life.

[/ QUOTE ]
The serial port Oehler's rely on is the equivalent of a muzzleloader - several generations out of date.
Many laptops don't have a serial port, It won't be long before No laptops come with a serial port. The dynasouric serial port becomes far more of a problem when you try to use a USB to serial connection.

The Oehler software is Win9x garbage, also several dogie decades old.

RSI uses current technology - a USB port.

[ QUOTE ]
Chrony (the good one with the remote read)

[/ QUOTE ]
The cheap and top of line Chrony use the same trivial timing circuitry. You pay more for remote reads, etc. Timing a bullet is baby SH*T technology wise - getting a good reading probably isn't.

If your Chrony doesn't read right when you've set it up correctly - send it back (if you can determine it's not reading correctly)

I'm not disputing what you guys have written - it's probably much easier to get an accurate reading with an Oehler - but if you can control the light there is no reason a Chrony can't give accurate measurements.

According to RSI:
[ QUOTE ]
<font color="red">All calibers measured by the Millennium were within 0.2% (99.8%) of lab recordings ...The venerated Oehler tested 0.3% behind the Millennium </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
CED Millennium Chronograph

Note the Mil Chron uses the dynasouric serial port.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member

One draw back I see to the Millenium is that it doesn't allow you to set it up on a longer rod. And I believe when they tested the Millenium and compared it to the Oehler, they were both on a 2' rod. The Oehler was slightly less accurate with this spacing, but I would be willing to bet that when the Oehler is set up on a 4' rod or even an 8' rod, that it is the same or more accurate than the Millenium on the 2'. Oehler states that the accuracy climbs a certain percentage on their unit the farther the skyscreens are from one another.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:51 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the report on the RSI, which I had never heard of.

Some of these things, 2% or 3% accuracy, even USB ports, don't mean a thing to me. I like the fact that the 35P is simple, and I get a paper tape on which to make notes, etc. My application is only a point of reference, hobby stuff. For what I need, I am quite sure the Oehler is adequate. Shooting in the "dark" is something I can do without, for the time being. However, the price looks good, in comparison; no question.

Good hunting. LB