Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Oehler Chronographs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2005, 09:29 PM
Silver Member

Oehler Chronographs

I have read quite a few posts that make reference to the Oehler 35P model. Does the three gates make a big difference over the two gate systems? I have never used a chronograph and am in the market for one since I beggining to shoot more handloads for groups at longer range rather than deer inside 300 yds. From the numbers that everyone posts, I am very interested in seeing what my muzzle velocities are; I aslo need the velocities for my new ballistics program too.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:34 PM
Silver Member

Re: Oehler Chronographs

Christopher,
I have some qualities as a human being (some may dispute this) but one quality I lack in abundance is patience, and especially with a P.O.S. chronograph, I once had a shooters chrony and after futility and frustration I shot 35 to 50 rounds of good ammo through this piece of crap (not the sky screens but through this piece of crap ) I went and bought an Oehler 35p the next day (5 years ago) and have had a smile on my face evey day since.
buy one and be done they are the best.........
B
Old 04-15-2005, 10:41 PM
Gold Member

I am looking at buying one of these too just to really see how accurate my shooters chrony is. I have heard they can have big variations from oehlers! I was thinking about the model 48 I believe it is I dont remember now! Have you used one of these or know what the difference is between the 35 and 48? Thanks for the help in advance!
Old 04-16-2005, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member

I have lined up my Oehler 35 behind Brian B's and one other persons and they read within 3-4 feet per second of each other and that was just because mine was a little further from the muzzle. When I have tried this with other chronoys, they didn't get very close readings.
Oehlers are the best. Basically, (and I hope this doesn't offend some people) I do not put much stock in any velocity reading that wasn't read from an Oehler. I have found that nine times out of ten, if someone comes to me and gives me a crazy high speed load that is 300 fps faster than what I have gotten with my Oehler, I ask them what chrony they have and it is usually an el cheapo chrony. If someone on here says they were getting such and such velocity and they were using an Oehler, I will not doubt them.

Oehlers also have the widest skyscreens for shade, are made from the toughest polymers, can be set up on a 2,4,or 8' rod for accuracy, and are essentially two chronos in one with the 3 sky screen set up.

The model 43 is a personal ballistics lab containing many more parts and pieces than the 35. You must have a laptop to run it while you are shooting. Check out their website. It is www.Oehlerresearch.com I believe.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:48 AM
Platinum Member

For the last several years I've had experience with two Chrony brand chrono's and Oehler's model 35P and model 43 PBL. To experience the pure exitement of muzzle velocities fluctuating 200 fps randomly between chronos of the same brand, and back and forth between the two, one need look no further than the Shooting Chrony!

If however you can't stand that much exitement at range time and wish to shift your mental efforts into something more productive and leave this to an instrument worthy of your trust, look no further than Oehler.

The three screen system Oehler uses offers a second chrono number (MV #) to to verify the first (primary) in the case of some sort of bad reading. The screen setup is situated like so; The stop screen is the farthest one on the rail, and acts to stop the timer on both independant chonos. The middle screen is the start screen for the secondary chrono and the screen spacing is half that of the primary chrono. The first screen nearest you is the primary start screen and is spaced 2, 4, 6, 8, 20, 40 feet or what ever length rail you choose from the rear stop screen for the accuracy you desire. Most people use a 4' rail.

The way I look at it is, you are not paying for two chronos, you are paying for high quality and consistancy and reliability of one good chrono, the second chrono is free and just there for added benifit in some situations, it is a very nice feature however.

The M43 requires a laptop as GG said and is outlined pretty well on Oehler's website. It uses the exact same chrono screens as the 35P and the only difference is the added features it has. MV wise, they have the same accuracy etc. and the 35P is not a downgraded version at all, but rather an upgrade in the sense I guess that you don't need a laptop to test MV on the 35P.

You will not be disapointed in the Oehler but have something you can rely on for life.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

I've had 2 Chrony's, a Pact, and now own an Oehler 35P. Without a doubt; I should have parted with the money for the Oehler right up front and I would have saved myself a lot of money and aggravation.

Just for the heck of it I put my buddy's Chrony (the good one with the remote read) directly behind my Oehler 35P. I shot several bullets from a few different rifles through the screens of both of them simultaneously. I expected the Chrony to read a few ft/sec slower because it was behind the Oehler. On average, it regularely produced readings that were 100 ft/sec faster . There was no way of knowing which chronograph was reading correctly and this bugged me to no end.

I built a small wooden crate and shipped my Oehler 35P, along with the screens and bar, back to Oehler for testing. The unit was tested in their lab and found to reading accurately. So much for the reliability of the Chrony. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

VH
Old 04-16-2005, 08:48 PM
Gold Member

Thanks GG, Brent, and Varmint Hunter for the info! I will be buying one soon from the way it sounds. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I had heard good things about them all around.