Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Novice Question on Rifle Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 06:38 PM
Silver Member

Re: Novice Question on Rifle Performance

Probably time to learn how to roll your own.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:17 PM
Bronze Member

257 Weatherby will take a deer with good shot placement to 6-700 without too much trouble (or wind for that matter too). I've shot my 300 WSM with 190's at 1140 yards on steel and 614 on a mulely buck. The muley weighed in at 287lbs and it was a lung shot using 180 gr Sierra Game SPBT. Blew through him with good expansion, He kicked up and rolled straight on his back legs in the air, almost DRT, but he moved backward about 3 feet.

I did the mule deer shot with a little burris 3-9x40 with their version of a BDC, I didn't use the reticule, just knew my drop and held over where I needed to.

Spend lots of time in the house drying firing your rifle on a small practice target, work on breathing and trigger pull. I recommend to my new shooters to do it 60-100 times a day if they can. Then get out and shoot the distance, learn as much as you can from your range time, you can't practice for wind and judging without being out in it and shooting through it. Good Luck!
San Angelo, TX 76903

Shop Number - 325-212-4392
Old 01-21-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Huntin View Post
I am a novice at long range shooting (Im a bowhunter). I have two rifles and Id like to know their effective range as mid to long range options. Taking the shooter out of the equation and just discussing the capiblitites of the rifle set ups.

1. .257 weatherby Mark V with a Leupold III 6.5x20x40. Shooting factory 110 gr nosler accubonds. Thinking of putting a Kenton knob on this scope if 500yds or so yards is regularly obtainable?

2. .300 WSM in Rem 700 with a Vortex HSLR 4x16x50 with turret. Accurized by Hill Country Rifles down here in Central Texas. Shooting Federal Prem. 180 gr. Barnes Triple Shock per their recommendation and set up. Will this gun be effective out to 700-800?
Do I have limitation based on the optics i have on these two rifles?
Old 01-21-2013, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Huntin View Post
Do I have limitation based on the optics i have on these two rifles?
If you use xxMOA bases for your scope mounts, depending on travel, without researching your scopes travel range, you should be able to a 1000 or so.

The limiting factors on your WSM is the fact that the Barnes bullets don't have great BC for LR shooting. Also you probably have the factory short action which requires you to seat long, heavy, high BC bullets deep into the case which is another handicap. I know, I a have 2 SA 300 WSMs and to get optimum seating for the high BC bullets, I can't use the mag box.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 02-18-2013, 08:35 AM

Thanks for all the answers/opinions so far.

Also I was wondering what would be the best factory loads with the highest BC for these two? I know I should be reloading but time is the factor and I doubt I'll be shooting past 700-800 yds.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:54 AM
Silver Member

It's not just the highest BC, it's what the rifle likes.

You are only going to get so much out of any rifle using factory. It is kind of like trying to run a race car on 87 octane gas. Yes, the car might run but it is not going to reach its potential, as long as you are willing to accept this limitation then fine. But unless you are extremely lucky I don't see you reaching out any distance with factory. I have tried this myself, it only gets you so far. By all means try numerous brands of manufacture and various bullet weights, you may actually stumble onto something that will at least get your started.

A warning about reloading, it ain't cheap. I keep spending major bucks on it. Is it worth it, yes because I want to have in my hands a rifle and handloads that are better than me. In others words, if I miss a target I want it to be my fault not any of my equipment's weaknesses. With that I can strive to get better as a shooter/hunter. It is just part of the sport as I see it.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:20 AM

Zep what do you mean by "any distance"?

What's the limit in your opinion w factory loads?