Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Novice Question on Rifle Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 09:44 AM

Novice Question on Rifle Performance

I am a novice at long range shooting (Im a bowhunter). I have two rifles and Id like to know their effective range as mid to long range options. Taking the shooter out of the equation and just discussing the capiblitites of the rifle set ups.

1. .257 weatherby Mark V with a Leupold III 6.5x20x40. Shooting factory 110 gr nosler accubonds. Thinking of putting a Kenton knob on this scope if 500yds or so yards is regularly obtainable?

2. .300 WSM in Rem 700 with a Vortex HSLR 4x16x50 with turret. Accurized by Hill Country Rifles down here in Central Texas. Shooting Federal Prem. 180 gr. Barnes Triple Shock per their recommendation and set up. Will this gun be effective out to 700-800?
Old 01-18-2013, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Novice Question on Rifle Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Huntin View Post
I am a novice at long range shooting (Im a bowhunter). I have two rifles and Id like to know their effective range as mid to long range options. Taking the shooter out of the equation and just discussing the capiblitites of the rifle set ups.

1. .257 weatherby Mark V with a Leupold III 6.5x20x40. Shooting factory 110 gr nosler accubonds. Thinking of putting a Kenton knob on this scope if 500yds or so yards is regularly obtainable?

2. .300 WSM in Rem 700 with a Vortex HSLR 4x16x50 with turret. Accurized by Hill Country Rifles down here in Central Texas. Shooting Federal Prem. 180 gr. Barnes Triple Shock per their recommendation and set up. Will this gun be effective out to 700-800?
Yes, I believe both are capable of taking game at those distances! In my opinion, you are set for coyotes to moose!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures/Ongoing Shooting Thread
Old 01-18-2013, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

If you are ready to do your part, both of those rifle/bullet combos will do theirs to those ranges......Rich
Old 01-19-2013, 08:46 AM

Thanks for the responses. Are these the max ranges? Or what is the opinion on that?
Old 01-19-2013, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. Are these the max ranges? Or what is the opinion on that?
That's very much up to personal opinion, and intended use. The 257 on game I'd say yea about 500 (deer sized), on inanimate objects 1000 easy. the 300 on game I think the round is capable to 1000 on deer sized game, on inanimate objects much farther than you are. You'd suprised just how far that class can reach with the proper load, say a 215gr Hybrid till you run out of elevation, or reach transonic it really is way the hellngone out there, I bet you'd be suprised just how far your 257 can launch a bullet when you do your part. C.O. Shooter is very much correct you've got pretty much every thing covered.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 01-19-2013, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Google JBM Ballisitics calculator, & enter your cal, bullet weight, b.c., muzzle velocity, altitude, temp, & zero range.
To keep it simple, remember 3 basic criteria
1800 fps min (for most, not all) bullets to properly expand
1500 ft lbs energy min recommended for Elk size critters
1100-1000 ft lbs energy min recommended for Deer size critters
Remember these are Basic, Generally accepted numbers. They are not absolute nesicities. Bullet choice for intended purpose/critter, is a crucial factor.
(I love my 180 Accubonds @3100 MV out to 750-850yds from my 300WSM)! A 200gr Accubond @ 2900 fps MV will getcha closer to 1k with less wind drift, more velocity, & more energy

JBM is free. It's really a handy tool for giving you a good idea of energy, velocity, & drop.
It's not perfect, but it'll getcha real close.
You'll have to record your own actual velocities & drops in the field to perfect your data, but JBM will get you real real close out to 1k or so on steel, or paper.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 01-19-2013, 05:13 PM
Platinum Member

As a bowhunter I'm sure you realize distant capability is mainly dependent on accuracy(shot placement).
I could drop deer at 500 with a little 223 because their brains can't handle 300ft/lbs (about as much as an arrow provides). But I wouldn't try to take deer with it any other way.