Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Not so happy with the Accubonds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2008, 11:29 AM
Silver Member

Not so happy with the Accubonds

Last weekend I killed an Antelope buck at just a bit under 500 yards with my 7mm Ultra. I'm driving the Accubonds with 92grs of Retumbo at just about 3200 fps. I can consistently land three shots touching each other at 100 yards. The first shot was back a bit far, but did hit a rib going out. After being hit, the buck just stood there. The next shot was a classic Keith raking shot, in behind the ribs and all the way though the front shoulder. No bone was touched with that shot but the Accubond took a bunch of paunch material with it through the shoulder, and the exit wound was just a little hole not much bigger than 7mm. Again the buck just stood there, and after a moment just fell over. He is dead in any case, and will adorn my wall, but did I miss something? I thought the Accubonds were supposed to be pretty thin skinned? The performance of this bullet seems to be quite a bit less dramatic than what I observed two weeks ago whem my dad absolutely flattened an Antelope doe with a far back shot with a 220gr MK out of his 300 RUM. The same thing happened to me last year, at about 367 yards the Accubond sailed right through an Antelope buck, taking ribs both in and out, but certainly didn't seem to shock the animal the way I've seen some other bullets do.

Thoughts?

Hicks
Old 10-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Silver Member

Re: Not so happy with the Accubonds

My experience with the accubonds as only been on deer with the 140gr .277 out of a 270WSM. All the shots were at 150 yards or less. The bullet held up extremely well and there was surprisingly little meat damage which tells me they are a tough bullet. I believe Nosler stated they will still expand reliably down to 1800fps, but they are designed for tougher game so you just might not be getting a lot of energy transfer on antelope. If I was shooting antelope at distance I would opt for the ballistic tips or Hornady SST's
Old 10-10-2008, 02:01 PM
Platinum Member

I've had one odd experience with the 140 AB from a 270 Win on a mulie buck at short range. Ultimately, I did not recover the buck and shot placement was excellent.

As much as some would like to control their shot distances, hunting is so variable, you just never know what you will have in terms of distance.

I'd agree with the above post on longer ranges and Btips, or SSTs. If in fact you are confident that you'd regularly shoot beyond, say, 400-500 yards, by all means, use the more frangible bullets: Berger VLDs, Amax, Btip, SST, Remington Accutip.

I personally think the Swift Scirocco is a nice compromise. Even though it is also a bonded plastic tipped bullet, it is pure lead, pure copper, so expansion is violent and quick, yet the bullet is still very tough, as I have personally seen with my bears at less than 20 yards.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post
I've had one odd experience with the 140 AB from a 270 Win on a mulie buck at short range. Ultimately, I did not recover the buck and shot placement was excellent.

SNIP.

I know that we all think that we never screw up, but if you don't have the animal, then the shot placement has to be questioned!

edge.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Platinum Member

Derek M. I know where you are coming from. In shooting well over 200 deer I have seen the same thing happen with heavy constructed bullets. Even with a double lung shot a deer or a speed goat can still go quite a distance before it finds out it is dead. They bleed on the inside and don't leave a good blood trail and can crawl into cover and you would have to step on them to find them. I had the same problem with the 7mm Mag. Try you some ballistic tips or Berger VLD's . It has been my finding that these thin skin animals need a quick expanding bullet that imparts lots of shock and does a lot of damage to the vitals to really put them down hard on the spot.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge View Post

I know that we all think that we never screw up, but if you don't have the animal, then the shot placement has to be questioned!

edge.

The answer to your question is this: distance was 45 yards. The buck was quartering to me. The bullet entered the right lung region as that was the onside lung. The flight path and subsequent region where the bullet should have exited would have been the exact opposite of a quartering away shot with a bow.

Shot placement was perfect.

I've killed at least a couple dozen whitetails with the same presentation at closer and further distances with a 270 using btips, partitions, tsx, and aframes with a recovered deer.

Something was amiss with the AB.

There are no absolutes in hunting and your implication simply means that since a deer was not found it is my fault. You are wrong. This was a chip shot I've done several times over the past 2 decades.

Last edited by Derek M.; 10-10-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
Last weekend I killed an Antelope buck at just a bit under 500 yards with my 7mm Ultra. I'm driving the Accubonds with 92grs of Retumbo at just about 3200 fps. I can consistently land three shots touching each other at 100 yards. The first shot was back a bit far, but did hit a rib going out. After being hit, the buck just stood there. The next shot was a classic Keith raking shot, in behind the ribs and all the way though the front shoulder. No bone was touched with that shot but the Accubond took a bunch of paunch material with it through the shoulder, and the exit wound was just a little hole not much bigger than 7mm. Again the buck just stood there, and after a moment just fell over. He is dead in any case, and will adorn my wall, but did I miss something? I thought the Accubonds were supposed to be pretty thin skinned? The performance of this bullet seems to be quite a bit less dramatic than what I observed two weeks ago whem my dad absolutely flattened an Antelope doe with a far back shot with a 220gr MK out of his 300 RUM. The same thing happened to me last year, at about 367 yards the Accubond sailed right through an Antelope buck, taking ribs both in and out, but certainly didn't seem to shock the animal the way I've seen some other bullets do.

Thoughts?

Hicks
My thoughts are that you made a good shot and the bullet did just what it was supposed to do. It put a fatal wound channel through the buck. Not every shot is a bang flop and IMO doesn't have to be. A well placed shot with a well performing bullet will kill an animal quickly. Sometimes a little quicker than other times.

I shot a bighorn ram once with a 160 gr NP from a 7mm RM at about 150-200 yds. The placement was pefect. Square in the middle of the ribs, through both lungs. He stumbled a couple of steps down hill and stood there while two other rams and a ewe trotted off back into the badlands. I chambered another round and fired again and nothing happened. I chambered a third, same thing, he just stood there. I chambered a fourth and put the crosshairs on his back and he shuttered and reeled a little and fell over. When I got him home and skinned him out I found the first three bullets in a 1" group making about nickel to quarter size exit holes. The fourth had passed through the top of his spine. He was dead after the first shot.

It's nice to see the animal go right down, but that doesn't always happen. I personally have never seen an antelope that was well hit go very far. 50 yds max and almost all drop quickly.

As far as bullet terminal performance... The AB, TSX, Etip and I believe also the BT are all designed to open with a minimun velocity of about 1800 fps. The VLD at 1825 fps. I believe all Nosler bullets (not totally sure) are designed to open down to 1800 fps. The more frangible bullets dont open at lesser speeds, they just come apart more quickley and retain much less mass.

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 10-10-2008 at 09:51 PM.