Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Nosler's New Bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2002, 12:03 AM
Writers Guild

Re: Nosler\'s New Bullets

Last time I chatted with Hornady, the customer service guy indicated nothing was on the drawing board for a heavier Amax in 30 cal. Seems most of their efforts were being placed with the SST in the various calibres.

If we all send emails or make phone calls, attention may again be placed on the Amax family - nothing new there in a few years. A heavy SST would be a great alternative.

Jerry
Old 12-17-2002, 12:25 AM

[ 07-12-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]
Old 12-17-2002, 01:35 PM
Platinum Member

S1, I think you nailed it when you said "Close to mid-range work." What many here probably consider "mid-range" is still "long range" to me (600 yds plus or minus).

I was all ready to take a deer out to 500 or 600 this year but ended up getting him at 15 yds. For that I've always liked a bullet that will hold together. The way I hunt I never know what the range will end up being.

And with the limited amount of time I have for hunting, I don't always have the luxury of passing up a shot because of a poor angle so I like to know I'll have the penetration if I need it.

I would be worried about most old-style bonded bullets not openning up at long range not only because they are designed to be super tough but most of them have really low BC's and will shed their velocity quickly. But I don't think that applies to these plastic-tipped wonders. Swift says the Scirocco will expand down to 1400 fps or so. It will be a long time before I have the skills to shoot anything that far away.

But I do agree that for true long range stuff bonding probably isn't desired.
Old 12-17-2002, 01:45 PM
Writers Guild

Surprised to hear about the AMax not opening up. That would have been my first choice for a really LR slow vel. bullet. Maybe too slow at impact?

The SST for me will be used as a medium range bullet. From my '06, most shots are going to be inside 500yds and possibly on Moose. The extra weight retention will be good.

From my 30 Gibbs, the ranges will be inside 900yds with most in the 500yds range. Since this will be used on moose, black bear and large mulies, I am happy about the stronger construction.

As long as impact vel is in the 1500fps range, I would expect good expansion and penetration. Have you considered the Nosler BT?

The general public wants super fast magnums so the premium bullet was created. Now we have such wonderfully tough bullet that long range performance is suffering.

I am going to 3000fps type cases so that good quality conventional bullets will stay together at short range and still expand at long. This thing about flat trajectory is of no interest as I will adjust for drop anyways.

That is why my 30-06 is one of my favorite hunting cartridges. Womps them up close and 700yds away. The Gibbs is more specialized for situations where shots go from 200yds out. That pretty much covers the walking type of hunting rifle. My WBY and RUM are table top guns for the real long stuff.

From what I am sensing in the shooting media, it will not be long before there will be swing back to "standard" or "classic" cartridges. The short magnums will have their day but the need for the super duper magnums will fade from the mainstream press.

Could you imagine hearing the benefits of cartridges like the 7X57, 270win, or the good old '06. Probably renewed interest in improved cartridges too.

Enjoy...

Jerry

PS let's all keep pressing Hornady for some 30 cal heavies.