Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Nosler E-tip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 08:51 PM
Gold Member

Nosler E-tip

Any word of a nosler .308 200gr. E-tip? I think that would make an excellent hunting bullet with a great BC! Hopefully around .6
Savage Target Action 6mm-284
Savage Target Action 6.5x47 Lapua
Savage Predator Hunter Max1 6.5-284 Norma
Savage Predator Hunter Max 1 22-284 Norma
Savage Bear Hunter 338 Win Mag
"Gotta Kill It Before You Can Grill It"
Old 12-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Nosler E-tip

Just remember the max on these will be reached with less powder than a lead bullet like the accubond! Also they are quite long for there weight due to less density to them, I would like to see them add a few rings like the Barnes or the new hornady non lead bullets so your not handicapped on the FPS you can achieve with them!
Old 12-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Havent tried any 200's but have tried the 180's. I havent had any luck getting them to shoot very straight. Velocity ES has been higher than normal as well. I wish they would work better in my rifle but dont.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:59 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotelatrans View Post
Just remember the max on these will be reached with less powder than a lead bullet like the accubond! Also they are quite long for there weight due to less density to them, I would like to see them add a few rings like the Barnes or the new hornady non lead bullets so your not handicapped on the FPS you can achieve with them!

What do you mean by max? Max velocity? What do the rings actually do to help acheive higher FPS? I would really appreciate if you explained this deeper because i really dont understand.
Savage Target Action 6mm-284
Savage Target Action 6.5x47 Lapua
Savage Predator Hunter Max1 6.5-284 Norma
Savage Predator Hunter Max 1 22-284 Norma
Savage Bear Hunter 338 Win Mag
"Gotta Kill It Before You Can Grill It"
Old 12-08-2008, 11:11 PM
Platinum Member

There is a fair chance that a 200g E-tip will be too long to stabilize in a standard twist barrel. I have some doubt that Nosler will come out with it. Will probably need faster than 1 in 10.

Steve
Old 12-09-2008, 08:44 AM
Bronze Member

It seems with non lead based bullets you get higher pressure with them, so Barnes and the new Hornady bullets have rings around them to help with pressure build up, meaning you can run close to the same powder charges as the same grain same design as a lead bullet. The E-tips will reach max pressure before the same sized lead bullet. You have a 150 grain lead and 150 grain e-tip you won't be able to load them to the same powder capacity I think nosler recommends a max close to 10% lower than a lead bullet of same size, meaning you will end up with a slower bullet than a lead accu bond or BT. If max is 10% lower and you want to run it 3-5% below max then your at a 15% lower charge than the lead counter part!

I have heard some guys say seat them some deeper, many say with long bullets doesn't make sense, but the guys that have shot them with good accuracy have found them to be better shooters when seated a little deeper instead of longer!

I'm going to try some of the new 90 grain 6mm just to see what I can accomplish with them. Hornady will have there offerings out soon, sadly nothing smaller than a .270 offered at this time but if you shoot bigger I would check out there offerings as well!
Old 12-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member

I don't know that I have experienced them being slower, but the pressure does come up faster. You definitely want to start load development lower w/ the E-tip. So far the rifles that we have tried them in, the end velocity has been where we expected for the size of the bullet.

I have mine seated almost touching the lands, and they shoot well. So I did not try seating them w/ any jump. I may have to try a little deeper just to see what happens. The other rifles we loaded all have free bore so there was no chance to load them into the lands.

Accuracy for us so far has been very good in every rifle tried.

Steve